PDA

View Full Version : battery room A/Cs

vinod
14-04-2010, 04:07 AM
why A/Cs are not installing inside battery rooms. Here we have so many battery rooms, A/Cs are installed in seperate room and only opening for supply air and exhaust fan used for air flow. Please give some technical clarifications.

Grizzly
14-04-2010, 05:35 AM
why A/Cs are not installing inside battery rooms. Here we have so many battery rooms, A/Cs are installed in seperate room and only opening for supply air and exhaust fan used for air flow. Please give some technical clarifications.
Hi Vinod.
Just a wild guess!
But at times during charging Certain Battery types can give off Explosive Gases
Hence the reason for the remote A/C unit, I am assuming?
Grizzly

vinod
14-04-2010, 06:41 AM
yes grizzly,
You are absolutely correct, but I need to know what type of explosive gases are forming while on battery charging. I have to give a report against this.
Thank you

frank
14-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Lead Acid batteries give off Hydrogen when charging, and, being heavier than air, low level trickle ventilation should be installed to prevent accumulation and the risk of explosion.

CHIEF DELPAC
14-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Frank I think you meant to type in lighter rather than heavier. As Hydrogen is lighter than air. I would assume that any vents should be on the high spots in the room. All electrical devices would be explosion proof. vinod Just look at any videos of the Hindenburg on fire to see the danger of Hydrogen gas. C.D.

frank
14-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Thank you CD

I've always installed battery room ventilation with the extract at low level next to the batteries with the make up air coming from the opposite wall at high level, causing a positive flow of fresh air across the room.

I looked up what our H & S Executive recommends and here is the link.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg139.pdf

Looks like I've been doing it back to front for some years....:confused:

vinod
19-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Thank you CD

I've always installed battery room ventilation with the extract at low level next to the batteries with the make up air coming from the opposite wall at high level, causing a positive flow of fresh air across the room.

I looked up what our H & S Executive recommends and here is the link.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg139.pdf

Looks like I've been doing it back to front for some years....:confused:
Thanks for all to given me such a clear advice and information