PDA

View Full Version : Best Tool to use?

Stoofer
11-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi can anyone give advice to a novas on best way to run air con pipes through cavity in house wall? As I will only be attempting this on conservatories pipe will rarely run more than 3 meters through the cavity. I’ve been looking at the fiberglass rods that spark’s use but wondered if there was anything better on the market specifically for the soft copper pipes used in small air con splits.

Thanks in advance for any advice Simon

chillyhamster
11-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Whilst this may seem a good idea at this time, The cavity is used as a thermal break and a waterproofing method for the internal wall. Having a pipe that may generate condensation may lead to damp patches on the internal wall, will your insurance cover this ?

chillin out
11-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi Simon

re your post on 17-10-2004 , whats taken so long to start the pipe run ? have you just got your breath back from lifting the cond unit on?

:) :)

Brian_UK
11-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Simon, apart from any condensation problems that you may cause doing what you want to do; have you considered how to protect the pipe insulation from the interior roughness of the wall cavity?

It sounds as though you are planning to do this on a regular basis (As I will only be attempting this on conservatories), why is there a need to put the pipework within the cavity ? Are you doing this as part of a new build project or on existing structures ?

A little more info on the need or frequency may help us formulate some assistance for you.

Stoofer
12-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks for emphasizing the how critical the condensation risks between the cavity could be and the possible repercussions guys.

I have some flexible plastic strips used in the window trade that could provide protection for the insulation as I feed it through the cavity, provided I can be sure the insulation is intact along the whole run would there then be no risk of condensation causing damp patches?

To answer Brian I'm only wanting to do this for aesthetic reasons a customer of my friends conservatory company asked if the pipe work could be concealed between the wall on a newly built conservatory he's having fitted, though if it turned out to be viable I had intended to use this method of hiding pipe work on all properties that didn't have cavity wall insulation.

(Re: chilling out) knocked up a couple of brackets for a electric hoist so lifting units is effortless now, though still out of breath from laughing at your comment..lol ps. love the scantly clad dancing ladies u have.

Brian_UK
13-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Another option you might try Stoofer is to feed each insulated pipe inside some plastic pipe or conduit and then feed it through the cavity; mind you it all depends on how bends there are going to be I suppose.

Good luck with it anyway.

Stoofer
14-03-2005, 10:13 AM
That's a viable option Brain as no bends and only a short run thanks for idea.

Simon