PDA

View Full Version : LG Air Con Unit stuck on defrost

gio_ayr
13-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Hi Guy's. Been baffled by this one for a while...

Went to an LG Air Con unit and I can't get it to come out of defrost mode. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many Thanks.

Brian_UK
13-04-2010, 11:56 PM
0.25kg of C4. :D

gio_ayr
14-04-2010, 09:32 AM
lol Cheers Brian but dont think the customer would be too happy if i blew up his air con unit hahaha

don't know what's wrong with it... the defrost light won't go out so the unit just wont run. Any ideas?

Temprite
14-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Is that with unit on heating or cooling?

From memory some lg units will bring up defrost light when they are going through hot start function.

Could be short of gas.

gio_ayr
14-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Is that with unit on heating or cooling?

From memory some lg units will bring up defrost light when they are going through hot start function.

Could be short of gas.

It's on heating mode, thought it could be that but it's R407 so I'll need to go buy some, never ever use it though but suppose i really should have some in the van. I'll let you know if that's what it was. Cheers.

back2space
16-04-2010, 07:40 PM
YOu need to assertain if the coil is getting warm or if the outdoor unit is running etc.

gio_ayr
16-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I've checked the gas and it doesn't seem short. The indoor unit doesn't do anything except beep when I press the remote controller. It wont operate regardless of what I do. I've cleaned the filter and the plasma filter, topped up with gas, reset the remote controller and checked all the fuses on the outdoor unit. When I press the contacter in the outdoor unit the compresor starts but the fans wont energise regardless of how hot the condenser is but when I force the contacter to stay on the indoor unit dies and wont let me do anything.

I'm totally baffled by this one. Has anyone else experienced anything else like this? I've been to see it 3 times now and I'm starting to look a bit silly. :(

back2space
17-04-2010, 02:01 PM
I've checked the gas and it doesn't seem short. The indoor unit doesn't do anything except beep when I press the remote controller. It wont operate regardless of what I do. I've cleaned the filter and the plasma filter, topped up with gas, reset the remote controller and checked all the fuses on the outdoor unit. When I press the contacter in the outdoor unit the compresor starts but the fans wont energise regardless of how hot the condenser is but when I force the contacter to stay on the indoor unit dies and wont let me do anything.

I'm totally baffled by this one. Has anyone else experienced anything else like this? I've been to see it 3 times now and I'm starting to look a bit silly. :(

Ok here is the number for LG technical support... they are not great but if your an engineer they should give you some advice. They will ask for the model number etc:

01753 876782

Hope this helps.

exotiic
18-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi, I had this same problem with an old Mitsubishi Electric cassette. It would run fine on cooling cycle but on heating would be stuck on defrost and the internal fan would not operate. In our situation we found a faulty reversing valve coil which was broken and cracked and therefore not providing the reversing valve with the power to change over. As such the system was operating in cooling mode, but the electronics were sensing for heating mode. Therefore the temp sensor noted that the temperature was too cold and required defrost.

Could that be a possibility for you?