PDA

View Full Version : Samsung IAS18WJWB/XTC RED lignt blinking.

collinar
12-04-2010, 05:53 AM
I am trying to fix a Samsung model IAS18WJWB/XTC 2HP split type unit. About 5% of the time the unit starts and runs normally. However, 95% of the time, when the unit starts, the indoor unit fan speed runs abnormally fast for 10 seconds, then the unit shuts down with a red blinking light. During the failed startup attempts sometimes the outside compressor will turn on, sometimes it will not. The thermistor and controller board have been replaced, but no change in symptoms. I need a service manual. Does anyone have one they can post? Thanks in advance.

collinar
12-04-2010, 06:27 AM
I should add that even when the unit does start up and run normally, eventually, after a delay (any time from seconds to hours) the fan speed will increase to abnormally fast for 10 seconds after which the unit shuts down with a red blinking light.

cadillackid
12-04-2010, 09:41 PM
sounds to me like the controller is getting a bad RPM read back from the fan motor causing the system to fault out on a fan Failure and shut down....
-Christopher

collinar
05-05-2010, 05:45 AM
Cadillackid, you are correct. It was the rpm sensor in the fan motor. Congradulations on you diagnosis.

Once again looking for your advice how to proceed.

Situation update: Finally, after countless hours on the phone calling Samsung customer support, I made contact with someone in technical support with a service manual for my ac unit. I was unable to persuade him to send me a copy but I was able to persuade him to look up in the manual the recommended action for my ac unit symptoms.

He came to my unit with a technician and confirmed the blinking red and green light and looked up in the manual section 6-2-1 Diagnosis and marking of part in trouble.
In this table the blinking green (operation) and red (turbo) lights indicates only one fault; which is: “Indoor fan motor mal function”. So some other technicians came back the next day and replaced the indoor fan motor, and this fixed the problem. Great. Except that while inserting the fan motor the technician broke off a piece of plastic from the chassis. Now the unit cools fine but vibrates and makes about 10db more noise than before. Prior to the repair I only heard air and refrigerant moving; now I hear motor or plastic vibration noise. So here is my dilemma: I am not sure which choice is best:

1.) Do nothing. Just put up with the noise. At least the unit cools now for the first time in more than 12 months. However long term, the vibrations could cause problems.
2.) Ask for the damage to be repaired. This sounds difficult to do, and appears to involve considerable risk of causing more damage while executing the repair. Repair options appear to include: a.) remove motor and superglue the broken part, b.) replace the broken part – it is the chassis onto which everything is mounted. Appears to require complete disassembly – very messy and a single mistake could cause further damage.
3.) Ask to be compensated for the damage but not attempt repair due to the risk.
4.) Ask for the unit to be replaced. The warranty holder may refuse this option since the cost exceeds the terms of the warranty.

The five year warranty expires in about three weeks.

I thank you for your advice.

cadillackid
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
if the service tech broke a piece off it should be up to him or his company to fix it...

if this is a wall split the techs probably tried to replace the motor without completely disassembling the unit which wouldve required opening the refrigeration circuit.. and lkikely they got careless and snapped off one of the tabs that holds the fan or the coil in place... easy to do....

its not likely a warranty issue or an issue with the manufacturer because the part was busted by a service tech not samsung....

so i would go after the company that made the motor replacement as it is their issue and they should fix it correctly...

-Christopher

bahsura
26-05-2011, 03:21 AM
I have this model too and I was wondering if one of you guys knows the Seasonal energy efficiency ratio on this thing.

Thanks.