PDA

View Full Version : Direct drive issue

ZoO
10-04-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm having an issue on a newly installed direct drive unit. It is on a 09 Chevy 2500 van with a 4.8L engine. I purchased the mount Drive bracket from Bracket systems, and the compressor is a TM-15 Sel-tec. We installed the unit, and a week later the clutch bearing failed. the unit is not being used because the box installation has not been completed, but the truck is driven nearly 200 miles a day as it is the customer's way to and from work. So the clutch is not engaging when the bearing fails.

A week ago we replaced the clutch assembly and belt with a new ones, and a week later (1200 miles) the bearing (On the new clutch) failed again. The mounting bracket aligns perfectly, the belt tensioner is in the middle of it's travel, and we know the unit is not being used (We pulled the in cab controller until the box was complete.) the clutch face, to pulley air gap is with in specs .015..

The Bracket people say it is a Compressor problem, and the compressor people say it is a mount/drive issue. Neither are willing to admit to having any problems with this system.

Any Ideas?

cadwaladr
10-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm having an issue on a newly installed direct drive unit. It is on a 09 Chevy 2500 van with a 4.8L engine. I purchased the mount Drive bracket from Bracket systems, and the compressor is a TM-15 Sel-tec. We installed the unit, and a week later the clutch bearing failed. the unit is not being used because the box installation has not been completed, but the truck is driven nearly 200 miles a day as it is the customer's way to and from work. So the clutch is not engaging when the bearing fails.

A week ago we replaced the clutch assembly and belt with a new ones, and a week later (1200 miles) the bearing (On the new clutch) failed again. The mounting bracket aligns perfectly, the belt tensioner is in the middle of it's travel, and we know the unit is not being used (We pulled the in cab controller until the box was complete.) the clutch face, to pulley air gap is with in specs .015..

The Bracket people say it is a Compressor problem, and the compressor people say it is a mount/drive issue. Neither are willing to admit to having any problems with this system.

Any Ideas? its got to be too tight the belt that is,is this belt also driving other items any pictures ?

Brian_UK
10-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Was there any indication of the bearing grease having been washed out of the bearing?

Have you seen the this document about clutches?
http://www.heco.net/MainCat/clutch.pdf

ZoO
11-04-2010, 03:41 AM
its got to be too tight the belt that is,is this belt also driving other items any pictures ?

There is only one belt that runs every thing except the A/C compressor. nothing else seems to be effected.

I do have some pics we took of the install process but none of the actual failed clutch.

ZoO
11-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Was there any indication of the bearing grease having been washed out of the bearing?

Have you seen the this document about clutches?

thank you for the link.

The clutch pulley when we replaced it had gotten so hot it melted all of the power coat an any none metallic items away (and most of the ball bearings.) I haven't actually seen the 2nd clutch yet.

cadwaladr
11-04-2010, 04:21 PM
the seltec compressors do not have very good bearings not as good as sanden,but never had them fail so early,is this clutch the type with three spigots on the front face? cos thats the type that in my opinion are rubbish.

ZoO
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
the seltec compressors do not have very good bearings not as good as sanden,but never had them fail so early,is this clutch the type with three spigots on the front face? cos thats the type that in my opinion are rubbish.

Yes it a 8 groove serpintine with the the 3"spigots"

djbe
11-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I've seen seltecs brand new where the clutch bearing is a loose fit on the compressor body. Therefore the bearing inner race spins causing overheating! Only a suggestion?