PDA

View Full Version : Grasso compressors & cooling towers / condensers relationship

riazahmadmalik
10-04-2010, 05:33 AM
What difference / setback / plus point - will it make if we install the condensers / cooling towers at the same level as that of compressors instead of putting them up at 3500 mm level.
My problem is that the contractor wants it to be 3500 mm above ground whereas I would like it to be at ground level main reason being high construction costs for a 50 Ft x 20 Ft. platform.

I will appreciate suggestions that can be helpful to place the condensers / cooling towers at ground level.

The contractor has the following comments:

1- After condensation liquid flows from condenser always by gravity with certain slope to avoid the liquid trapping in lines .
2- Condenser should always in open Air for optimized condensation process (ITS IN THE OPEN AIR ALREADY)
3- There should always be a certain pressure in liquid receiver at out let of condenser to avoid the vaporization in liquid receiver .
4- From Process design point of view Grasso strongly recommends that condenser should always be placed at certain height

charlie n
10-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Too difficult to give a clear answer without more details or drawings/location/process/climate information. Are you talking about a shell & tube condenser? The relationship between a condenser and receiver is more important. Condenser should always be above the receiver.The cooling tower location usually doesn't matter, it can be on the ground.

Brian_UK
10-04-2010, 11:14 PM
From Process design point of view Grasso strongly recommends that condenser should always be placed at certain height

You have provided the reason for putting the condenser above ground level.

If the manufacturer recommends something then do it or invalidate your warranty with them.

alan wolf
11-04-2010, 03:02 PM
hello

1 experience of towers below condensers meant water drained back then air lock problems. needs designed to prevent probs like this

aww

ref717
11-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I assume you have evaporative condensers.,I suggest you strictly follow the instructions of the "OEM" (Grasso) to avoid any problems during your operation. In ammonia refrigeration, evaporative condensers are always installed above the compressors and liquid receiver.