PDA

View Full Version : Glycol brine mix

SIGNSTU
09-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I was called into a skating rink that had a problem with several tubes under the ice that were getting clogged.
It was a glycol system and then changed to brine about 17% flake. When I opened the line that would not flow a foamy thick gook came out almost like ice cream. Is the foam caused by the salts reacting with what ever glycole was left in the system. Will anti foam work or make it worse? Can anyone think of something except drain and flush.

goshen
09-04-2010, 01:26 PM
I was called into a skating rink that had a problem with several tubes under the ice were getting clogged.
It was a glycol system and then changed to brine about 17% flake. When I opened the line that would not flow a foamy thick gook came out almost like ice cream. Is the foam caused by the salts reacting with what ever glycole was left in the system. Will anti foam work or make it worse? Can anyone think of something except drain and flush.
hi save youself a big headache drain flush and refill!:(

SIGNSTU
09-04-2010, 01:35 PM
They don't want to loose the ice. That would be the best thing to do.
That would take 8-10 hrs and then your brine would be at 60 degrees at least a long way from 15 degrees (F)

charlie n
09-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Dow chemical produced a short paper a while ago about this. i can't find it. As I recall, The main point about mixing glycol & even small amounts of Calcium chloride was. DON'T DO IT. Goshen is right. Flush the system & start again.

SIGNSTU
09-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks, That is what I have been telling them!