PDA

View Full Version : Only first half of Pipes freezing?

Bobbin
09-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi there, I have a gas refrigeration system run by a bock fk2 compressor. The system is used in a fish hold on a trawler to keep catch chilled around 2 deg celcius. After replacing a damaged compressor the system hasn't been working correctly.
There are 2 banks of pipes in the fish hold connected to the system. Only the first half of each bank of pipes is freezing/chilling. The warmer of the 2 pipes from compressor to cooling area(passing through water pump area to cool) is running very hot and the other pipe which used to frost up before is only mildly cold.

Head unit is set at -1*c. Hp/lp settings are at 250psi first setting, diff at 20psi and third at 18psi. The lp gauge is Reading 35 and high pressure gauge 65 lb per sq inch.

My knowledge on refrigeration is limited. If anyone could give me advice on what the problem could be and how to remedy it. If more info is needed just ask.

monkey spanners
09-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Bobbin,

What refrigerant is the system on?
What was wrong with the original compressor?

Jon

Bobbin
09-04-2010, 04:08 PM
R22, original compressor had bearing damage inside which caused electric clutch to burn out. When I tried changing clutch on old compressor it wouldn't turn so I got a second hand compressor and it's now turning with new clutch installed.

monkey spanners
09-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Could be lots of things, maybe your 'new' compressor is bad, could be short of refrigerant, could be too much cooling water flow through the condenser, etc.

Did you fit the compressor or did you get a tech to do it?

Bobbin
09-04-2010, 06:44 PM
thanks for response
I fitted the compressor. Had it checked recently by a tech to make sure seals etc wherent leaking. He was satisfied with everything when he left though didn't see system running for any length of time. He said when I return next week he would put gas in storage tank and see if any air seperates from it.

cadwaladr
09-04-2010, 07:19 PM
thanks for response
I fitted the compressor. Had it checked recently by a tech to make sure seals etc wherent leaking. He was satisfied with everything when he left though didn't see system running for any length of time. He said when I return next week he would put gas in storage tank and see if any air seperates from it.
sounds like you need tech help,drier neds changing expansion valve inlet filter gauze will need to be checked,what temperature is the liquid line is there a sight glass fitted to pipework?

Bobbin
09-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi cadwaladr, sight glass shows cloudy for 1 sec when clutch turned on and then clear after that. Not sure what liquid line temp is but if it's temp from lp gauge it's around 9*c and hp gauge around 35*c. The thermostat reads 6*c in the fish hold though it's set for -1*c On the head unit. The water cooling system was cleaned and checked recently and appears to be working as normal. Not sure where expansion inlet valve gauze is located on system.

Thanks