PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning Energy Inspections

CCLPaul
08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
There seems to be companies out there simply trying to get your money for training to be an inspector. They appear to be aiming at service engineers stating that following a short course and over £1,000 you can be an inspector. I am not stating that this is not the case, I am simply asking people to be aware. I completed training before I was asked for qualifications, with the original certificate among other things. I was promised a stream of work that I believe doesn't exist, they have my money and every week have a different excuse why I am not able to have my first 3 jobs auditted. I am not stating that there are people out there simply after your training money, I am saying be very careful. If you are a service engineer please ask what qualifications and experience is required and ask to speak to engineers that have been trained and are now getting work.
I am qualified to carry out this work and believe that the average service enginer will have their training money taken to be told that they cannot complete inspections.

R1976
09-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi,

Why can a service engineer not do these inspections?

I have been approached but declined, I do not see anyone paying to have someone tell them about the efficiency of their air conditioning, whether it's the law or not.

Our customers:D don't even have their F gas tests done as they don't want to pay for it and at the end of the day, who is going to enforce any of this rubbish that the government and EU keep coming up with.

CCLPaul
12-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I have no doubt that some service engineers can do the work, I also know engineers that are being chased, mainly by recruitment agents, that are not capable of doing the work.
It is important that all types of air conditioning systems are fully undwerstood from a practical and theoretical point of view. e.g. I dont know many service guys that would know whether the fan fitted with a ducted system was good or bad for the job and how they would recommend with calculations how energy can be saved.
The so-called course that I attended, was simply someone reading from a script on a presentation. All the information was already available. If you are not already well trained or qualified to carry out all calcs then the course wont help.
All systems over 250kW should have been inspected before Jan 2009, the figures I have read said that only 2% of these system were completed, and still no-one has been warned, let alone prosecuted. You are right to be sceptical. Trading standards are the body responsible, I think they may have better things to do.
I have no idea how this will work if it ever does.

nevgee
12-04-2010, 07:36 PM
There is another thread you might find interesting Refrigeration-Engineer.com forums (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/index.php) > REFRIGERATION DIVISIONS (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49) > Air Conditioning (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14) http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/VA_RE/misc/navbits_finallink_ltr.gif (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23195) Air Conditioning Inspector accreditation :)

Nomolos
20-04-2010, 12:20 PM
As an addition to this I have seen a company advertising this in the job centre of all places, rang out of curiosity (cat safely locked away) and had a similar experience ...yes this is ideal for you....we can’t keep up with the amount of work we have..... Yes please pay us £1500 so you can get the work we can’t manage etc etc etc.

Needless to say they did not get any cash from me..

Andy AC
11-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Has anybody done any of this training? Is it worth it?

Andy

CCLPaul
15-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I have completed one days training, however the training is purely how to use the software correctly, it does not tell you how to do the job.
i completed the day back in Feb 2010 but because i have no formal qualifications and i am not a member of CIBSE I have come up against barrier after barrier and still can not carry out certified inspections, however I believe I should be able to complete all tasks this winter.If you do go ahead with this please make sure you are aware of the exact qualifications required because it is not simply two years experience in the right field.

nevgee
17-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I have managed to get a provisional accreditation through CIBSE scheme. I now have to find 3 customers who are willing to let me do the necessary. Problem so far is finding a client who is aware of the legislation and in particular someone who cares! There is at the moment no real means of policing this scheme. I wonder that I may have spent £650.00 and a great amount of time doing the jumps and hoops to get this far only to find there will be no take up.
Time will tell.

gammon
07-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I went on a 3 day course in January, then in July the company that carried out the training ceased trading. Found a new training centre but i cant get a placement til next year.
Have a list of customers wanting the surveys completed, so i am not happy.

Sam

AbsoluteWDJ
08-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I went on a 3 day course in January, then in July the company that carried out the training ceased trading. Found a new training centre but i cant get a placement til next year.
Have a list of customers wanting the surveys completed, so i am not happy.

Sam

Would cleaning air filters, condenser coils and a good old fashioned service be more beneficial in this war against energy efficiency and leak checking? If your answer is yes then offer that as a service to your list of customers!

gammon
09-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Would cleaning air filters, condenser coils and a good old fashioned service be more beneficial in this war against energy efficiency and leak checking? If your answer is yes then offer that as a service to your list of customers!

Im a service engineer thats what i already do. But this was a position offered to me within the company, i dont want to be engineer forever.