PDA

View Full Version : Garden Leave

Steve
22-06-2001, 11:32 PM
Here I sit untill the end of July when I will be made redundent :( or maybe :). Time to consider my future career. Should I stay in fridge or should I move to pastures new...?

I tell you what though it is nice to think of sitting for the next 5 weeks at home on my ass :D

Decisions, decisions what to do next.....?

WebRam
22-06-2001, 11:48 PM
well since you are a Moderator, you could do a wee bit of work in your forum ;)

Steve
23-06-2001, 12:31 AM
I could, but that may get in the way of getting pissed and feeling sorry for myself ;)

Abe
23-06-2001, 10:54 AM
Steve,

Its a brilliant thought that "you can now sit on your ass" for 5 weeks, only prob is that it might feel like a holiday at first, but slowly you will sink deeper into your sofa, watching daytime tv, and start thinking that this is normal stuff, like it at first, but later start feeling sorry for yourself, and begin to feel a sense of rejection, redundancy, hopelessness, and this is the slippery slope to depression.

This is an opportunity, if you do not feel entirely happy, committed about working in refrigeration, if refrigeration is not satisfying, is not what I call your "dream job" then, yes look into areas which you have always wanted to do, or have dreamt of, this is your chance to start fresh, or break away.

Keep those endorphins active, get your physical energy up and run, play sports every day, keep the brain working. And start looking at the alternatives now, not in five weeks time. Do not put anything off until later.

Maybe Im being too pessimistic here, Im sure youre a brilliant engineer Steve and after your protracted period of 5 weeks , maybe youll be snapped up just like that and walk straight into another position. In that case, by all means have fun, drink yourself silly, and ofcourse you can put some time into this forum!!!

Best of luck Steve, all the best

Brian_UK
24-06-2001, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Abe
Maybe Im being too pessimistic here, I'm sure you're a brilliant engineer Steve and after your protracted period of 5 weeks , maybe you'll be snapped up just like that and walk straight into another position. In that case, by all means have fun, drink yourself silly, and of course you can put some time into this forum!!!

Best of luck Steve, all the best

I second that.

WebRam
24-06-2001, 09:58 AM
Hey Brian ..... I like the avatar :D

Steve
24-06-2001, 10:54 AM
Thanks Guys, I am looking about and keeping myself busy with my studies and the preperation for moving home in the beginning of August :)

And I will put some time into the forum :p

stephen.wales
26-06-2001, 12:53 AM
steve,is that right that you are moving back to home terratory?
i have made my move,as you well may have heard.
the future is out there, you just have to go and get it.

Gary
26-06-2001, 02:28 AM
Of all the decisions we can make in life, INdecision is usually the worst. As the kids say, bust a move. (Do the kids still say that?) :)

subzero*psia
26-06-2001, 03:06 AM
Indecision is terrible but second guessing can be even worse... most often your first solution is the correct answer...

:p

Steve
26-06-2001, 10:07 PM
steve,is that right that you are moving back to home terratory?
i have made my move,as you well may have heard.
the future is out there, you just have to go and get it.

Yes I am moving back to sunny Oxon, had enough of the rain down here in Wales ;)

I had not heard about a move concerning you, tell all.....

Steve
09-07-2001, 06:34 PM
Of all the decisions we can make in life, INdecision is usually the worst. As the kids say, bust a move. (Do the kids still say that?)
I don't know if the kids still say it but your sentiment is dead right.