PDA

View Full Version : Manitowoc QD0272A condenser help

JW4.0
06-04-2010, 12:40 PM
first i'd just like to say hi to everyone and also thanks in advance for any help you may be able to lend me.

i have a qd0272a and the condenser motor is making a loud noise so i assume it needs to be replaced. i have found the part online for $118.00.

trouble is i am not sure how to get the condenser out in order to replace the motor as it is connected via hard copper to the compressor. it does not appear that you can get to it from the back as the bin is behind it.

does anyone know how to dismantle to replace the fan motor? any help is very much appreciated!

FEISTY
07-04-2010, 03:48 AM
I'm understanding you are trying to change just the condenser fan motor itself. You do not have to pull the condenser coil to achieve this repair. Before you pull it, are you sure it is bad and not just cycling on the fan control pressure sensor on the high side of system? If you still need to pull it, it comes out from the front of unit CAREFULLY thru the wiring and tubing found to the right of the coil. You need a small 1/4-5/16th offset ratchet wrench to make this less of a knuckle buster. It's tight but easier than pulling the back panel off entire unit. You may also want to check that style motor as I believe it is a 9w115v foot mount. Quite standard in our trade and a lot less than 118.00. I get them for about 21.00 if cast or 27.00 in aluminum body that helps dispense heat. Good luck !!

JW4.0
07-04-2010, 12:16 PM
hi and thanks so much for the info. when the fan starts it is making a loud noise. almost sounds like a car with a bad power steering pump (loud squealing) as soon as it starts.

i am not sure on this model that anything can pass out of the right hand side. i will try to take a pic this afternoon with the cover off and post it so you can take a look at it.

once i get the motor off i'll check grainger to see if i can get a better deal on the fan. the one i priced was from a manitowoc parts dealer so i thought it was kind of pricey.

thanks again feisty, i'll post the pic later on for you.

FEISTY
07-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I have added new words to the tech's " who designed this d... thing " book of slang but still back Manitowoc as my favorite unit to represent and lead my customers to. It can be done but you need to use your skills of " I can't see what I'm doing , only feel what I think is there ". The smaller the unit, the bigger the effort needed to do the job. I don.t know where you are located but am happy to lead you to known refrig. parts counters that can help. You can email if it helps and we can talk from there. jeff@feisty1.com. Take a deep breath. When you are done, it is 1 of those " that's how they did it " things.

JW4.0
07-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks again feisty. I found this diagram of my machine and it helps a lot. so i thought i'd post it here so maybe it will help others down the road.

i'll be in touch when i get that rascal out about where to find the part cheaper.

i tryed to post the image but it wont let me until i have made 15 posts. but it can be found at the manitowocice dot com site under support/service.

JW4.0
08-04-2010, 04:39 PM
fiesty i have the motor off. these are the specs. i called morrill motors. they say this motor is mad exclusively for manitowoc and you have to buy from them.

is there a replacement motor that will work without have to buy the $118 morrill?

thanks again for all of the help!

Morrill Motors
Erwin, Tennessee
SP-B16EM12

16W
Output
Class-B

TE AOM TP
E81653

0.80 A
Volts
60/50 #2
1550 RPM
CW
2834L

FEISTY
09-04-2010, 03:56 AM
That wattage motor is again a model available as stock. Morrill, A.O.Smith, GE Fasco.etc. They are all brand names who bought out the smaller " fish " in the pond. As long as specs are the same...ie. voltage, rotation, foot mount, wattage you can use anyone's motor as long as the info matches. Like True Mfg., start components for a 1/3 hp Tecumseh or Aspera cost 300% more and are EXACTLY the same. Shopping comes with experience. Morrill puts a Manitowoc part number on a common motor. If you have a motor house nearby such as Dreisilker or any HVACR counter, you can find the part. Been there....done that !!

Jose Castro
03-05-2010, 04:51 AM
I have a QDo272A not making enough ice,I clean a durty condenser and replaced a broked trough water,cust. said producing ice but they empty it for next day only about 25 lbs of ice and ice maker off.cust re-set ice maker to keep making ice,pls help me i'll preciate ,Jose

FEISTY
04-05-2010, 03:53 AM
That unit has a pressure switch used for fan control. Make sure fan is cycling on and off. Next take temp of water and see how cold it is in tray. If supply water temp goes up in building, ice making time and production are both affected. Slower production times are normal in smaller machines since water amount in tray is less. Last...make sure you see light thru condenser coil. So many " coil cleanings " are just wipe off the front of fins. They are very tightly spaced and need a blast of CO2 to clean completely. Good Luck.