PDA

View Full Version : Removing moisture from chiller

puddleboy3
01-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi Guys, any suggestions on removing moisture from a chiller system. We have a trane chiller that both the evaporators have burst and both fridge circuits have filled with water. We removed as many sections of pipe work as possible and drained all oil from the compressors. We have spent the last three weeks with the vac pumps on and changing the oil at regular intervals and blowing through with nitrogen. Any suggestions on speeding things up?

Thanks in advance

mad fridgie
01-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Hi Guys, any suggestions on removing moisture from a chiller system. We have a trane chiller that both the evaporators have burst and both fridge circuits have filled with water. We removed as many sections of pipe work as possible and drained all oil from the compressors. We have spent the last three weeks with the vac pumps on and changing the oil at regular intervals and blowing through with nitrogen. Any suggestions on speeding things up?

Thanks in advance
The only way to increase the boiling rate of the remaining water is to add heat.
have you fixed your burst tubes (presume water in tubes) If so refit end plates, add small water pump circualate water through tubes and an external heater

lowcool
01-04-2010, 02:13 AM
flush the system

Tesla
01-04-2010, 05:55 AM
You could flush the system with R11 (did I say R11) or burn out solvent, recover R11/solvent and send for processing throuhg a still or fractional distiller. You could flush with nitro and trace R22 (to ASHRAE standard) - R22 will help saok up water. How long has the water been sitting in the system, lots of corrosion takes place. What type of compressor? and what type of refrigerant? Was/has the system run with water in it. Use a cold trap on vac lines. Add heat with hot water through water side or many infrared heat lamps. Change vac oil every 24hours and test pump capacity each time - you should pull min 25 microns with just the gauge connected. Monitor/record vacume measurement to give you an idea when your getting close.

sedgy
01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
R11 is not allowed in the EC
I have found that OFN heated up with gas heater blowers and blown through the system < to warm it up <will help toget rid of most of the moisture with the help of a good deep vac< with more heat blown onto the shell whilst vaccing, - happy vaccing

NoNickName
01-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Waste of time. Scrap it.

old gas bottle
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Waste of time. Scrap it.

some truth in that.:) but if you cant,dont mess about, cut the liquid line filter out and fit a triple core,do the same on the suction on each circuit, change the cores after 24hr run [if it lasts that long] and pray. just keep changing them untill it dries out,you may still get loads of component failure, i would agree with scraping it to a degree.:eek:

alan wolf
01-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi

My 2 pennys worth is the hot water circulated thru the water side. take it leaks are plugged. we have a unit which we use on r123 units to heat water side so we can build up pressure to leak test, the hot water does the same with water, it heats it and in vacuum will boil it off for vac pumps to remove. absorber technology.
aww

baratax
09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi, I usually reapairs them. First you have to strap on the tubes that's has the leak. I use the nitrogens to remove the water and oil. Then I have a cleaning machine ( Fri3OilSystem),she introduces liquid gás into the gas circuit, and recirculates the liquid gas a lot of cicles. She removes completely any water, oil or another thing. You can do it if you don't have the machine. Put a recipient with R11, use a liquid bomb to make circulate the liquid on the circuit. You must do it several times, then you must put again the nitrogen to clean up.

Best regards

Sorry about my english.

Fri3Oil System
09-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks in advance
Hi Baratax,

If you have moisture, acids, water in a chiller, you can clean it totally with a cleaning system, called Fri3Oil System, hehe. Many chiller mainteners are using it already in different countries, Portugal included. Actually, Trane Portugal uses it.
should you have more questions, contact me, my portuguese is not very good, but I'm sure we can understand each other.