PDA

View Full Version : It's Called "Refrigerant"

lzenglish
30-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Hello all. After being in the HVAC buisness for 40 years I have heard "Refrigerant" called many names. The most popular of course is "*****", then "That cold Stuff", "freezone", and on and on. Well just when you think you have heard it all, today I came across a new one on a 1930's refrigerator ad, "The magic fluid". When I was in college learning this trade over 40 years ago, if we called refrigerant anything but refrigerant we got an "F" for the day, and chewed out by our Instructor. In all my time in the buisness from 1/2 to 3000 ton units, I have NEVER called Refrigerant "*****", even if it was made by Dupont, and its brand name was "*****"!

Any Thoughts ?

Take care

Grizzly
31-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Yeah> Life moves on! ***** is now all but obsolete itself.
Guys used to work for 1 company for life.
Now the experienced guys are a commodity.
Please refer to some of the recent posts.
Grizzly

taz24
31-03-2010, 08:15 AM

I bet you just love guys who work in the

"REFRIDGERATION" industry and work with "REFRIDGERANTS" then. :D :p

taz

gregd1401
31-03-2010, 08:33 AM
What about "juice, gravy or liquor"?

chillled
31-03-2010, 10:32 AM
its called tit. As in short of tit, bottle of tit etc. Hope this helps

B G Scott
31-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I think,( I am open to correction from our friends in the States) The D got into refrigeration via the trade name Frigidaire in the early years of domestic appliance refrigeration in the USA being almost a generic term for a refrigerator in the same way a lot of people still "Hoover" the carpet.Its also why we use the word Fridge and was such an American icon Sonny Boy Williamson has a track called "Frigidaire Blues".
I think there is an English language Thread some where that this might be applicable to.

lowcool
01-04-2010, 02:52 AM
my bank has the evil D in my trading name so much for spell check

Grizzly
01-04-2010, 07:03 AM
my bank has the evil D in my trading name so much for spell check

Does that mean that "Technically" from a legal standpoint their charges are invalid?:D
Grizzly

coolhibby1875
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
was at the local nrs last week and there was a van in the car park with refrigeration spelt wrong, dear o dear

tony--1
01-04-2010, 11:21 PM
was at the local nrs last week and there was a van in the car park with refrigeration spelt wrong, dear o dear

lol did you tell themm.....hehe;)...sry them

paul thompson
03-04-2010, 12:10 AM
:D

I bet you just love guys who work in the

"REFRIDGERATION" industry and work with "REFRIDGERANTS" then. :D :p

taz

:cool:oh yes

lowcool
05-04-2010, 12:49 AM
gday grizzly
wouldnt that be nice
cheers mate

The Red Krawler
24-05-2010, 02:36 PM
How did the word 'refrigerator' get shortened to 'fridge'? Why did the superfluous 'd' appear in there?

I guess its all about phonetics.... people hear a 'd', they know you spell it fridge so they make damn sure they put a 'd' into refridgerator and refridgerants!

Our "official" correspondence more often than not turns up addressed to 'refridgeration', despite spelling it over the phone. Our default Google listing was spelt like that too thanks to which ever SEO company submitted it! Now fixed :D