PDA

View Full Version : window airconditioning ice up

marts_8
30-03-2010, 12:39 PM
i have 2 samsung ACU 16,000BTU's which ices up. I open them everyday for 8-10 hrs. We clean the filters and fins every week. On its 5th month, ACU1 iced up so i just washed the filter and brushed the fins and it didn't happen again until its 7th month, it ices up almost every month even if the filter and fins are clean. On its 8th month, I have it washed with pressured washer thinking that it ices because the fan is dirty. But after being washed, it iced up fins and copper tubes is a weekly thing. We turn off the ACU for a couple of hours and open it again. Then the weekly thing became daily. So i had it pressure washed again thinking maybe it was not clean enough. Then the ice became a 5-6 hours thing and yesterday, almost every hour! BTW, they already changed the fan capacitor but still the same. ACU2 also suffers the same as ACU1, fan capacitor also changed. The units are just 9 months old.

Any expert here that could help?

Shibhrac
30-03-2010, 02:59 PM
i have 2 samsung ACU 16,000BTU's which ices up. I open them everyday for 8-10 hrs. We clean the filters and fins every week. On its 5th month, ACU1 iced up so i just washed the filter and brushed the fins and it didn't happen again until its 7th month, it ices up almost every month even if the filter and fins are clean. On its 8th month, I have it washed with pressured washer thinking that it ices because the fan is dirty. But after being washed, it iced up fins and copper tubes is a weekly thing. We turn off the ACU for a couple of hours and open it again. Then the weekly thing became daily. So i had it pressure washed again thinking maybe it was not clean enough. Then the ice became a 5-6 hours thing and yesterday, almost every hour! BTW, they already changed the fan capacitor but still the same. ACU2 also suffers the same as ACU1, fan capacitor also changed. The units are just 9 months old.

Any expert here that could help?
Within viewing the circumstances of the way how the fault is repeated it seems to me that you are having a small amount of the refrigerant is scabbing gradually from both units. this can be proved by using gas sniffer or hocking clamp meter to compare the drawn amp to the name plate running amp. and it would be good practice if you check the pressure .