PDA

View Full Version : how to identify which refrigerant

kerrcell
29-03-2010, 05:54 PM
HI Guys,
Have been on a walk-in cooler which have a semi-hermetic compressor Dorin.I need to open system but there is no record of which refrigerant in used.How can I dteremine which.It is around 2 years old.OIl of compressor is POE . What can it be R404A , R134 A ??
Is there a method on how to check ? The only details found are FRIGO SYSTEM OF30/06

bpjack
29-03-2010, 06:19 PM
I would get the compressor model number. Check with the manufacturer and it will be rated for either 404A or 134A. (Usually)

Then, after I opened the system and performed my repair, I would put a fresh charge of gas in. The other possibility is if you can see the tX valve - some of them have the type of refrigerant printed on them.

I would put in a fresh charge of gas as there are several possible refrigerants that could be in the unit. ie: 134A, 409a, ..etc that will all run in a 134A compressor. If you do not know who worked on the unit, any of them could be in it. Vacuum the system and start with a new charge is the best way to be certain.

kerrcell
29-03-2010, 06:47 PM
BpJack,
I need to replace two flexible pipes that connect one to the high side and high pressure switcha and the other for the low side,they are cracked,so maybe there is no need to loose a lot of refrigerant.The model of the compressor is Dorin K750CC-02(HFC).Any idea.

Toosh
29-03-2010, 06:51 PM
HI Guys,
Have been on a walk-in cooler which have a semi-hermetic compressor Dorin.I need to open system but there is no record of which refrigerant in used.How can I dteremine which.It is around 2 years old.OIl of compressor is POE . What can it be R404A , R134 A ??
Is there a method on how to check ? The only details found are FRIGO SYSTEM OF30/06

Fit your gauges shut it down let it equalize then take your p/t chart compare the readings to ambient temp

kerrcell
29-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Will try it out toosh thanks

cool runings
29-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Why not just look at the lable on the TEV?

coolrunnings

chemi-cool
29-03-2010, 08:10 PM
You can also check the high pressure control, if 404 is used it will be set for about 250psi and 134 would be set for about 180psi.

tonyhavcr
29-03-2010, 11:11 PM
In today's world any one w/ a set of gauges is doing this and will put what they have in a system.
If you are wondering what is in it! The only true test is a p/t chart and gauges @ ambient temp.
Checking the high pressure control will only put you in the ball park. Checking the txv is good but takes longer and hope the last guy did not mix the gas pules with this info you now know that they is or is not any air in the system.

FEISTY
30-03-2010, 02:29 AM
You can try looking for the condenser plate tag itself. Again these are all " maybe it's this or that " answers. Better to evacuate the system, purge it with nitrogen, change the dryer and sight glass and recharge it with OEM specs. Mark it inside the disconnect box and on the dryer itself with a date. Better to be safe than sorry. Too many " ****tails " from earlier service top-offs. Good luck !! By the way, there are testers available to identify ***** in the field but have heard..some work some don't. Think I'd wait until they get it right.

kerrcell
31-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Ok guys,best thing I think is to check on the expansion valve top.The system is new,2 years old and there was never a need to open system.Thanks to all.

mianrizwan
04-04-2010, 08:12 PM
kerrcell
from the up side of TXV you can see which refregrent is charge in the systme. there code will be print on the top of TXV

kerrcell
05-04-2010, 07:25 AM
HI Guys,
Thanks all,found that it runs on R404A.I found on txv,thanks again.