PDA

View Full Version : milk tanks

iv4o777
27-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Hi,guys!
Suddenly i was involved in milk farm refrigeration.
So I thought that there is no big difference between supermarket refrigeration and this, but I was wrong.
Here in Bulgaria in use are old, second hand milk thanks about 1-2m cub. I want to know more about milk tank structure,controls, and requirements. Where i can find information?
Thank you!

chemi-cool
27-03-2010, 08:25 AM
There are two basic ways of milk cooling, Direct cooling where evaporator is part of the tank and Indirect cooling where iced water are used to co cool the milk before it enters the tank.

In DX units there is a condensing unit sized to fit the evaporator size, controlled by temperature sensor.
The cooling is also controlled by electrodes that sense the hight of the milk in the tank.

In Indirect units, there is a unit that cools water or glycol and the cooling is in a plate HE.

every milt tank has at least one agitator that runs during cooling cycle and after the milk has reached the temp [3°C] it runs every 30 min for 30 sec.

A washing system is running when the tank is empty disabling the cooling cycle. this is hand operated.

There are a few controllers specially made for milk cooling like Dixell XR80C. Washing systems have there own controls.

This is basic. Look on the web for more details.
Some guys here also maintain milk tanks and I am sure they will add more info.

iv4o777
27-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Thank you chemi-cool!

monkey spanners
28-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi,

If you have any specific questions about a milk tank just ask, they are quite simple machines once you get used to them.

Jon

Brian_UK
28-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Also, someone has posted some links on the subject...

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24134

iv4o777
30-03-2010, 06:35 AM
thank you guys!
:)