PDA

View Full Version : Is Air Content Analyzer Required on Recovery Cylinder?

A1_Autos
25-03-2010, 01:41 AM
I recentley spotted a product that I understand measures and removes any air from the recovery tank and results in purer refrigerant.
I guess i am just wondering what people think to this, and whether it is neccessary because I had planned on re-using some gas , which I had recovered from a system that worked very well but just had a low charge. If I was to re-charge this r134a gas straight into an ac system without having this kind of tool atached to the recovery cylinder would I also be getting air into the system from the recovery process that has entered into the recovery bottle along with the refrigerant? :) How can it give me purer refrigerant becuase surely any air will be removed when I purge hoses prior to charging, leaving me with pure refrigerant anyway..

AUcooler
25-03-2010, 07:57 AM
You could liquid charge the recovered gas into the new system. The non condensables would be in a gaseous state.

You could vent the bottle for a few seconds to purge of any non condensables, oops did I say vent and purge :eek:

Brian_UK
25-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Considering that the customer is paying for the gas, one way or another, why not use virgin gas anyway?

Can you post a link to the product that you have seen?
(I know that you can't post a full link because of your post count but you can get round that by typing it as in -
w w w . refrigeration-engineer.com)

A1_Autos
25-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah, If I was doing it for a customer then I would use virgin gas, but just for my own cars I was going to try recycling some r134a, - just being a bit tight with money I guess, but then r134a isnt that cheap nowadays either.

Anyway w w w . carairconditioningsupplies.co.uk and then under categories on left side of screen click on (recovery waste bottles) and there it will be next to pictures of two recovery bottles. If you have time see what u think?? Might be alright or might be £49.00 for something that is not really needed.

Thanks for help

edit: http://www.carairconditioningsupplies.co.uk/caraircon/product.php?productid=497&cat=32&page=1

Quality
25-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Pressure gauge , comparitor , thermometer is all you need

ps. I did not bother looking at the link as I did not see any point;)

A1_Autos
25-03-2010, 08:55 PM
and how would I utilise each of these to confirm that there is no air present in the recovery cylinder that I am charging from? i mean I can see that i am looking to find the pressure and temp but do i then compare that to the specified value for r134a similar to when identifying a refrigerant in a system.

A1_Autos
25-03-2010, 08:57 PM
I meant to say thanks for the tip Quality.
cheers.

Brian_UK
25-03-2010, 10:26 PM
That analyser looks like it has a pressure gauge and a thermometer so it is a packaged set of what you already have in your tool kit.

If you want to spend another £49 then it's your choice. ;)

A1_Autos
25-03-2010, 11:32 PM
I think i Will save my money then, If I already have these things in my toolkit.
anyway thanks for the advice. cheers

Karl Hofmann
26-03-2010, 07:48 PM
My old Robinair RMS has a similar gizmo built into it to purge the air from recovered refrigerant stored in it's storage cylinder, it works on the pressure differential between the air/ refrigerant vapour mix and pure refrigerant and just dumps the air vapour mix untill the balance is regained. I'd have thought that the tree huggers would have banned such devices...