PDA

View Full Version : Can ITE Mini R Recovery Unit recover Liquid?

A1_Autos
21-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi , I have just purchased an ITE Mini-R Recovery machine, it is an older one with a hermetic type compressor I think? and it does require oil. (not new oil- less type)
I am recovering r134a from cars and I am just wondering if this machine is capable of recovering only vapour or can it recover liquid from the ac system.
Also when connecting the discharge hose from the recovery unit to a recovery cylinder do i connect up to the vapour or liquid port on the cylinder. I am only recovering on average about 1 kg from any one system.

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated, Thanks.:)

Craig

Brian_UK
21-03-2010, 10:29 PM
That unit will recover liquid or vapour automatically according to the sales pitch...

http://www.ite-tools.com/lindhout/htmlengels/pdf/mini-r-v2.pdf

If I remember correctly it has a solenoid valve inside which controls the liquid flow so you will hear it clicking in and out.

Doesn't matter which you use on the recovery cylinder.

A1_Autos
21-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Ok , Thanks for that Brian_UK, much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity do you know how the machine deals with the liquid then becase surely only gas can be allowed to pass through the compressor because liquid doesnt compress and gas does.

Does the machine vaporise the liquid or something???? or am i getting confused:) anyway cheers m8

Brian_UK
21-03-2010, 11:45 PM
This may be wrong but...

Liquid enters machine pipework and is detected by a liquid sensor.

Solenoid snaps shut to stop more liquid and trapped liquid is fed slowly to compressor inlet in vapour form.

When liquid has vapourised the solenoid valve reopens and the cycle starts again.

A1_Autos
22-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Thanks for that, Its nice to speak to someone who knows how this machine works, Now youv'e explained it I can understand whats happening, its just nice to know exactly how it all works.

and just one more quick question when attaching to the system do you always recover through the low side of the ac system, its just all the textbooks etc tell you to open only the low side valve on the manifold gauge and then attach the service from the manifold to the inlet (suction) side of the recovery unit. Do you agree with this principle ??

and thankyou once again

monkey spanners
22-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Not sure if your reco rig has a condenser in it but it can be worth filling the bottle on the liquid tap, any gas going to the bottle has to bubble up through the liquid in there and has a chance to condence keeping the pressure lower in the bottle and speeding up recovery.
As Brian says though on the size of systems you're working on it won't make much difference, except maybe on a hot day.

I'd connect to the system on the high and low sides if possible, but again not so important on smaller systems. Would be better when vacuuming out too with two connections.

Brian_UK
22-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Yup, as MS says, connect to both sides, most cars only have afew grams in them so not a lot to worry about.

hyperion
22-03-2010, 03:53 PM
You may also find that when recovering refrigerant, some of the oil may end up being removed as well.
It is often difficult to estimate the quantity that might be removed.
Be careful when adding extra oil, not to put in too much.
Some of the expensive recovery machines are capable of separating out the oil and measuring it, but not the Mini R.

A1_Autos
22-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone , much appreciated. I will connect to liquid port of Recovery cylinder and recover from both sides of ac system as you suggest.

Thanks