PDA

View Full Version : Capstone Test HELP

jesdevera
19-03-2010, 10:55 AM
A SALUTE TO OUR SENIORS!

WE ARE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS OF REFRIGERATION AND AC HERE IN MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA. A MONTH FROM NOW WE ARE GOING TO UNDERGO A CAPSTONE TEST WHICH IS OUR FINAL TEST TO GET CERTIFICATE 3 IN REF. AND AC.

WE GOT THE TIPS BELOW HOW THE TEST WILL RUN.

WE WOULD LIKE TO SEEK HELP FROM YOU GUYS.

IF YOU WERE OUR TRAINERS, WHAT PROBLEM SCENARIOS WOULD YOU GIVE US AND WHAT SOLUTIONS DO YOU EXPECT US TO GIVE.

YOUR CONTRIBUTION WONT BE FORGOTTEN.

Balancing a system - basically you are given a unit and you have to check and adjust it to get the correct super heat and subcooling (which you will cover later), then remove a component correctly and replace it. This is to show you can pump down a system / recover refrigerant to minimise loss to the atmosphere

Next you have to identify 2 refrigerant faults - this could be a blocked condenser, faulty TX valve, etc

Next is 2 electrical faults - In all the faults you don't have to fix them, just identify the problem and describe to the examiner what you would do.

Finally is wiring an electrical motor and idtifying if it is single or 3 phase

Tesla
19-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi jesdevera
Welcome to the forum. It is impolite to use capitols (considered shouting) for future.
I will only give a few tips here. First of all I would be checking for safety. Second you will need accurate measurement to help you diagnose ond ballance the system. Then a good grasp of the theory goes a long way but... a little practice if you have time for it will help much more for confidence and speed.
Best of luck with the capstone test.

jesdevera
19-03-2010, 12:56 PM
My deepest apologies. My caps letters are not my intention for shouting. I was thinking of separating my plea to the tips we got.

Once again, pardon me for being a rooky even in this forum.

Thank you for your advice tesla

nike123
19-03-2010, 01:51 PM
This will be helpful:
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19701
http://hvac-pro.org/ProDiagnostics.msi
http://hvac-pro.org/Practice.htm

jesdevera
19-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks a million nike123. Fantastic materials for us

Magoo
20-03-2010, 01:17 AM
jesdevera,
your questions are basic refrigeration system knowledge and why are you asking?. If you don't know, go back to the books.
Our industry is full of qualified "I don't know'ers ". Who are a risk to themselves and the general public. Which ultimately drags our whole industry into disrepute.
magoo

jesdevera
20-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Hi magoo,
thanks for the reply. We have spent 15 months in school to get certificate 3 in ref and ac. We attend 3days a week (20 hours). Most of us haven't got the real apprenticeship knowledge since our school has not provided us the 480 hrs work experience.

We are so baby in terms of what is there outside in the field. Most of our classes are modules and NR+number based(theory). We took written tests for this modules and we passed them that's why we reached the group of getting capstone test (practical).

This is the reason why we are asking.

gzhjb
21-03-2010, 01:57 PM
jesdevera,
your questions are basic refrigeration system knowledge and why are you asking?. If you don't know, go back to the books.
Our industry is full of qualified "I don't know'ers ". Who are a risk to themselves and the general public. Which ultimately drags our whole industry into disrepute.
magoo

I think jesdevera is looking for any advice on the Capstone Practical Test itself, as a student entering this trade, no one can say he or she is 100% ready for the test, that's why he set up this thread for help. I'm quite mature but still a newbie for this trade, looking forward to any kind advices also.

Magoo
21-03-2010, 11:54 PM
OK so I over-reacted, my apologies, old people get grumpy, but your educational /training providers should be putting you in the feild for practical hands on experience with an experienced service tech,. Books and lectures are one thing, actually looking at a system and touching, feeling everything and with a set of gauges on a system is a thousand times more beneficial.
magoo

mad fridgie
22-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Balancing a system, different engineers see this in different ways, for a test use the method given by your tutors.
Fault finding, first ask the client (tutor) as many questions as you can, has the fault happened quickly, did happen over a period of time, are there any strange noises, have similar faults occurred (he will not give you the answers, but this gets you into practice for site work.)
When you start spend a few minutes study the system, get familiar with it.
Is it running or not, if not you need your electrical tester. "First" check that you have power. A very common fault, turned off or fuses blown. If power is there check all controls.
If you are not quite sure of the system layout electrically and mechanically right a little check list as you are going through each part (with experience this happens in your head)

jesdevera
22-03-2010, 04:36 AM
Gzhjb,

thanks for backing us up.

jesdevera
22-03-2010, 04:38 AM
Mr. Magoo,

no need to apoligize. Your point was also taken.

jesdevera
22-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Mad fridgie,

we appreciate your advice. Your methods are really helpful for us to hopefully pass the capstone test.

Thanks a lot.

PS. Jessie ( male ). It would be an honor to meet a female doing this kind of trade though.

Toosh
22-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Mad fridgie,

we appreciate your advice. Your methods are really helpful for us to hopefully pass the capstone test.

Thanks a lot.

PS. Jessie ( male ). It would be an honor to meet a female doing this kind of trade though.

WHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

Magoo
23-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Hi again jesdevera and the other bloke gzhbj.
This is an international forum, perhaps you can explain the capstone examination criteria.
Are you studying as international students within a program set up in Australia. Can you expand on this please.
Magoo.

jesdevera
23-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi Magoo,

The capstone criteria are above in my first thread- the ones not in capital letters.

Yes. I and my classmates are international students from china, india, mauritius, philippines, vietnam, korea, england, and malaysia. The course is a package one: 5 term cert 3 in ref and ac; 3 term diploma in biz. The whole package is completed in 2 years.

The 4 year apprenticeship fir oz stydents is equivalent to our 5 term cert 3 course. Our school focuses on completing all the modules in 15 month time and less emphasis on workshop. I guess it's business. The faster we finish the course, the more students they can get in a year.

nesterjester
18-04-2010, 11:11 AM
hey jesdevera
i too have to do my capstone next week
just wondering if you have done yours