PDA

View Full Version : Submerged Oil Cooling (PC in a tank)

AndyHX
18-03-2010, 03:43 AM
Hey guys , i have seen this done on a couple of websites and would like to give it a go on an old pc that i have. I have the fish tank ready and i have a good supply of Polyolester oil but everyone i have seen is using mineral oil.
I know that poe acts as a solvent ,would it be to harsh on electronics ?? any advice appreciated
cheers Andy

Brian_UK
18-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Would it be wise to have that type of oil exposed to the atmosphere?

"They, POE, are highly hygroscopic and absorb water which is almost impossible to drive out."

nike123
18-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Use good old transformer oil.

AndyHX
20-03-2010, 01:33 AM
POE will absorb up to 2500ppm from the research that i have done. Is this a significant amount of water? , i dont think so , so i am willing to give it a go on an old pc for starters and see how it runs.
I have a condenser that i am going to pump oil through for cooling when it reaches a certain temp in the tank.

jim01
16-07-2010, 09:25 AM
This is a great post.It helps me to increase my knowledge.

Thanks
jim01

jim01
16-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Use good old transformer oil.
Thanks for your post.

jim01

knighty
01-08-2011, 12:32 AM
I did this years ago... I was only about 13 at the time...

I took a standerd upright fridge freezer... and chopped the freezer off the top of it... then lay it on it's back so it was like a mini chest freezer...

then I stripped down a small undercouter freezer (carefull not to damage any pipes etc..) and used that to cool the oil... (I cut out a small chunk at the door of the dreezer to put the pipes through)

installed my pc in the box... then filled it with about 7 gallons of oil... standerd diesel engine oil (from my fathers garage)

it worked really well.. and would go down to -30'C

only problem was, the oil was very thick at that tempriture so the oil around the cup etc.. would heat up while the rest of the oil was still at -30'C

water/moisture wasn't a problem... any moisture getting in froze and dropped to the bottom of the box... every few weeks I'd put a thick plastic bag on my hand/arm and reach in to pull it out.... wow that was cold :o

:D