PDA

View Full Version : can i claim tool allowance

ecclesk
21-02-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm employed in the uk as a site engineer (industrial refrigeration/ cold storage) i'm based on one site most of the time.

a friend of mine told me that as i buy most of my tools myself i should be able to claim some sort of tax rebate or tool allowance, he said he last done it a few years back when he was still on the tools and he back dated it for a no. of years and ended up with over £600 :eek:

how true is this :confused:

and how would i go about claiming it? as i dont normally get a tax return because i'm salary paid on a P.A.Y.E.

chillyhamster
21-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Phone the tax office and speak to a tax inspector, Just claim £100.00 tool and protective clothing allowance. (ony worth £25.00 / £40.00 depending on your income) ;)

chillyhamster
21-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Just checked my last notice of coding.
Allowance for "Flat rate job expenses" For info see section 10 in the explanation booklet. ;)

dill
22-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Hi chillyhamster, you are allowed £100 as flat rate expenses. This covers your tool allowance and overall cleaning. You or your employer should contact your local tax office but dont expect anything until next year. A word of warning, dont let anyone tell you that you can claim for all kinds eg. union subs, garage allowance (to store your equipment) safty ware ect. because you can try but you then will be self assesed and that is a real ball ache beleive me. Not worth the pennies you would gain.dill