PDA

View Full Version : 3-door Hussman freezer - High head?

W.ma.RefrigTech
11-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Just replaced a compressor (if my memory is right) KALB-0150-?-? copeland on a Hussmann M:uml-3-bs S:91h03973-030 3-door freezer with a coworker. Now I understand the box was pulling down from high 70's 'F box temp. BUT 350psi head seemed pretty excessive to me?? Around 70'f ambient hitting the condenser with R402 HP80 comes out to a 54'f conderser-split. Suction at 18-20psi. We had to take off and by that time box temp. 35'f, head 325-330psi, suction 16-19psi. Coworker was saying everything looks ok.... just wondering any "other" views.

W.Ma.refrigtech

FEISTY
12-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Without more info it is hard to give an educated answer. Excuse me if I sound rude but your " oh well, that's a day " attitude sure leaves a lot to be desired in professional work practices. Did either of you spend any time checking the unit out or just " pull it, change it, charge it and close it up" ??? How can you leave a customer's equipment running in that condition and hope it settles in ?? That's what causes the new compressor to fail also. Could be air in system from bad vacuum, could be leak in install procedure, dirty condenser coil, overcharge, etc. Come on guys....if you work for yourselves the job isn't over until you're satisfied it works. If you're employed..get advice from someone in the company. But don't just " hope for the best after you left !!!! ". That's what makes customers question if any of us know what we're doing.

W.ma.RefrigTech
20-03-2010, 04:15 AM
Hey Feisty, Thanks for the reply.
Let me say this do I have an Oh well that's a day attitude, absolutely not. That call was out of my hands and came from the service manager after he was informed. No, I wasn't "satisfied" at all at what I was seeing and all I got for an answer was that it was locked up and we're installing a new one. I wasn't really able to get any other vitals on the system with the other tech packing stuff up to move onto another call --orders from the chief-- but I do know the condenser was clean and he charged name plate onces in an original 502 system. Hmm...
I know the info was limited.... was just saying, 50 something degrees condensing over ambient? would that be a "flag" raised?

Thanks for your time...

FEISTY
21-03-2010, 10:32 AM
It would be interesting what Copeland would say if they...or should I say when they " autopsy " the body back at factory on a warranty return. The factory will put body on a " service tech teaching line " without giving techs any reported reason for failure. They will inspect unit and , if it turns out the fault was not factory"s, Copeland can and has refused warranty credit. The cost will go back to service company who returned it. I wasn't trying to " blow " on your ability. I have seen so many " bad compressor " excuses after 9 yrs. counter mgr. and 15 plus years in field that it hits a sore spot with me. I remember being told by mfg. at a seminar that only 10% of returns are really bad compressors. The rest just bad decisions in the field. Finally...I can understand the " do what you're told and don't think " answer. That's why I became self-employed. Now I do it my way and, if I'm wrong, take the heat and make it right. Good luck and if you find out what solved the problem, please share it. That's what helps all of us later on. Have a great day !!