PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing of hand tools

Morph
19-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi.....I am a first year student at Basford College and need to purchase some refridgeration hand tools, such as pipe benders/cutters and an electronic temp probe etc.

Has anybody got any suggestions were I can purchase these locally, Notts/Derby area, or can you recommend a good website to purchase them from.

TIA
Morph

rbartlett
19-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi.....I am a first year student at Basford College and need to purchase some refridgeration hand tools, such as pipe benders/cutters and an electronic temp probe etc.

Has anybody got any suggestions were I can purchase these locally, Notts/Derby area, or can you recommend a good website to purchase them from.

TIA
Morph

http://www.srw.co.uk

don't buy the cheapest options

this site has literally hundreds of years exp of buying good, bad, and indifferent tools so-

when you have a list prepared come back and we will 'vet' it for quality, suitability, usability, needability, desirability, etcability

cheers

richard

chemi-cool
19-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi Morph,

Good luck with your studying.

Tools are like extentions of your hands, therefore if you are going to make your living as a fridgy, get the best tools money can buy.
I still keep some 40 years old tools, they dont make them as good as they used to.

All the copper handling tools I keep are made by Ridged.
Shifters, by Bahco.
Rest by Signet.
You can buy cheap tools but you dont get proper results.

Chemi :)

chillyhamster
19-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Hi Morph,

Make a list of all your requirements as well as your wish list, and give to all of your local wholesalers (collage will have this info). Ask them to cost and supply information as to which product they would supply and they may even offer some sort of arrangement.. Chemi, Why is it that most engineers today use shifters..... what has happend to good old pipe spanners, never rounded off the corners of a tight nut with one of these but ruined plenty with shifters. :confused:

klimek
19-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Ebay.co.uk- you can buy bargains, but you have to be careful, check prices before buying there exp. www.srw.co.uk. Buying from USA is good deal now cause pounds/dollars=almost 2/1

Morph
19-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys have taken on board what you have said and will register with www.srw.co.uk (They cannot process my registration untill Monday!!!).

Soon as thats done I will prepare my list for your approval :cool:

Thanks Morph

chemi-cool
19-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Why is it that most engineers today use shifters..... what has happened to good old pipe spanners,

If you take for example 5 nuts of the same pipe size, you will see that they are different in spanner size.

A good shifter such as Bahco in a traned pair of hands will grip the nut much better!
Thats why.

Chemi :)

Krups
20-02-2005, 06:58 PM
hi morph i studied there last year! how u geting on ? is it still as unorganised as ever ? and is 1 of ur main reasons for buying the tools as you've noticed the lack of tools in the workshop ? lol :p

anyways back on the tools, just an addition to this post...

could you 'time-served' engineers list your tools that you use..
something like :-
tools that you cannot live without...
tools that you may need on rare occasions...
tools that have not yet been invented or modified version of tools in existence that would make our lives alot easier...

:D

Morph
21-02-2005, 09:01 AM
hi morph i studied there last year! how u geting on ? is it still as unorganised as ever ? and is 1 of ur main reasons for buying the tools as you've noticed the lack of tools in the workshop ? lol :p

tools that have not yet been invented or modified version of tools in existence that would make our lives alot easier...

Hi Krups....you know the place well :D yes its still unorganised and yes my reason for buying tools is the lack of them in the workshop. Fed up with waiting 20min to use a pipe cutter haha, well you know what I mean :rolleyes:

Regards Morph

jamcool
21-02-2005, 09:45 AM
also was at Basford about 3 years ago,the only jamaican in the fridge shop,try hrp or maplins at times u might find some good quality stuff, say hello to mel,paul and andy if they are still there just tell them the jamaican :)

Morph
22-02-2005, 09:20 AM
also was at Basford about 3 years ago,the only jamaican in the fridge shop,try hrp or maplins at times u might find some good quality stuff, say hello to mel,paul and andy if they are still there just tell them the jamaican :)

Hi Jamcool....will pass your regards on and let you know what they said, wont be untill Wednesday though, Im only at college Wed, Thur & Fri.

Morph

Krups
22-02-2005, 05:52 PM

have i said something wrong ? or is everyone too busy to answer this yet ?

jamcool
24-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Well Morph,
tools u cannt live without,a good set of gauges,a multimeter,screwdrivers insulated if u can get, in Jamaica we just use the regular ones with some electrical tape :) wraped around the handle,a good thermometer some vise grips, pipe cutter,allen key set both metric and imperial and last but NOT least a map of all the good sandwich shops in your area :)
sure others agree

Morph
24-02-2005, 10:03 PM
have i said something wrong ? or is everyone too busy to answer this yet ?

Hi again Krups...must mean there are no time served engineers who use this forum LOL, but thanks for trying anyway.

Decided to start my tool collection with a few bits from SRW, namely clamp meter and temp probe, which will zap me pocket money for a few weeks. LOL

Does this bring back memories "Break time boys, come back fresh"

Regards Morph

Morph
24-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Well Morph,
tools u cannt live without,a good set of gauges,a multimeter,screwdrivers insulated if u can get, in Jamaica we just use the regular ones with some electrical tape :) wraped around the handle,a good thermometer some vise grips, pipe cutter,allen key set both metric and imperial and last but NOT least a map of all the good sandwich shops in your area :)
sure others agree

Hi jamcool... will pm you shortly

Krups
28-02-2005, 08:52 PM
lol that of course is the main man....andy....defo brings back some memories lol
has he put the pic up of him doin that mad corner on his bike ?

am coming basford hall nex wed for my tech cert exams... 3 in 1 day...
il prolly c ya there...
funny how we finished last year, and been waiting to do these exams since then with no idea of when to expect them...
then a few weeks ago the letter comes through..
gotta try n revise n remember everything from last years notes that made sense in that world...lol

Jamie
02-07-2005, 03:23 AM
Hi
Basford college happy times!!
Is Mel Crewe still there?
Jim Bramley was my tutor had a good eye for detail!(1 was false)
Its probably the same equipment when I was there in 1989.Did me well tho cos I know work in New Zealand with themqualifications.Thank Mel when you see him :)
Sorry its not about tools but the mention of basford college brought the memories flloding back.
Nrs,Derby fridge,Rpw dean & wood there all in notts still I think they will help.
All the best and study hard you will need them qualifications if you wanno go overseas!
Jamie Deeman

Krups
02-07-2005, 08:36 PM
hey, jims not there, but mel is, hes the head of the department now, didnt realise he'd been there that long!
and the equipment seems as if its been there since it started! but hey, i prefer to learn the oldschool way.
yea, i defo want them qualifications, cause i would love to work abroad sometime in the future, was thinking about australia,
we have to do exams (Rvq -technical certificates) now aswel as the nvq.
did you need to do level 3 aswel to go abroad ?

cheers
ps will pass your regards on...

Jamie
03-07-2005, 06:17 AM
Krups
NVQ's ??Thats all double dutch to me!
I did City and Guilds which is recognised in most places around the world the ones your doing are will be I suppose.
You will have to research as to what standard you need to be world recognised.
You dont need to retrain for Oz or NZ as in a previous post either.
Who do you work for in Leicester Wathes?Thats where most of the lads were from at college.Do you know Joby from Newark then?He went t basford but has just finished.
Theres always work for you in this trade so stick with it youll never regret it.

Regards Jamie