PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerant shortage

superslim007
08-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Has any one else heard of the possibility of shortages this year, it is said that due to a shortage of R125 (which is in all the blends) coupled with a severe shortage of trichloroethylene which is the feedstock of R134A (R134A is also used in most of the blends also) means that the price of refrigerants will steeply rise this year, that is said to be the best case senario, worse case there may not be any available this summer.
:off topic:

Josip
08-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi, superslim007 :)

Has any one else heard of the possibility of shortages this year, it is said that due to a shortage of R125 (which is in all the blends) coupled with a severe shortage of trichloroethylene which is the feedstock of R134A (R134A is also used in most of the blends also) means that the price of refrigerants will steeply rise this year, that is said to be the best case senario, worse case there may not be any available this summer.
:off topic:

please, do not understood me in a wrong way ...but, that is a good way to start to use natural refrigerants ;) i prefer stinky refrigerants...

I believe in no shortage (maybe to rise the price-for profit reason only:cool:), but everything is possible those days...

Best regards, Josip :)

chemi-cool
08-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi, superslim007 :)

please, do not understood me in a wrong way ...but, that is a good way to start to use natural refrigerants ;) i prefer stinky refrigerants...

I believe in no shortage (maybe to rise the price-for profit reason only:cool:), but everything is possible those days...

Best regards, Josip :)

Don't worry Josip, Shortage in Europe is very possible with the world worst bureaucracy but in the rest of the world everything is still in the 80's, R-12, R-502, and all the rest....
I would like to see the first NH3 mini split ;)

It will be a disaster if any shortage will happened, all the food prices will jump to the sky and we will be forced to eat organic food......:rolleyes:

superslim007
08-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Its official, just been told the suppliers are putting up prices, some already have last month and are going again in April
:rolleyes:

Brian_UK
08-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Its official, just been told the suppliers are putting up prices, some already have last month and are going again in April
:rolleyes:
Would you please provide some facts?

Who is your source?

cadwaladr
08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
i have been told that its going up because of a shortage 30% maybe more my supplier is also a good friend,134a is going up he told me two weeks ago so i will be getting plenty in stock ,well you wouldnt want a warm beer.

superslim007
08-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I have spoke to Climate & an IDS wholesaler, both confirm price increases and 30% isn't unrealistic

Gary
08-03-2010, 08:25 PM
This is not a sudden event. The powers that be have known this day was coming for a very long time. Plenty of time to adjust their inventories.

There is no shortage. It's about the money and nothing else. As soon as the new prices are in place and well established, the shortage will magically disappear.

Quality
08-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I scrapped about 200Kg of copper last week, after I got my funds they told me the price was due to increase - its all about money making there is no shortage of refrigerant

Quality
08-03-2010, 08:32 PM
This is not a sudden event. The powers that be have known this day was coming for a very long time. Plenty of time to adjust their inventories.

There is no shortage. It's about the money and nothing else. As soon as the new prices are in place and well established, the shortage will magically disappear.

wow we must have been typing at the same time, thinking the same thing at the same time

or we have something in common and that we both know that we are going to run out of refrigerant;)

Gary
08-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Great minds think alike... or was that warped minds?

Quality
08-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Not to sure but I will go with either

cadwaladr
11-03-2010, 06:52 PM
its all about a producer of part of the chemical make up,they want more money for there bit ,but whatever my supplier says his is going up 25/35% monday and 407 is going to be in short supply

superslim007
12-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Yes it looks like R407C will be in short supply, it does contain 52% R134A so due to the shortage of R134A they can't make R407C, untill the manafacturers of T.E.C start producing again they can't make any R134A. Be prepared for an expensive bumpy ride this year, there is an artical in this months RAC on page 6 so there are supply issues