PDA

View Full Version : Favorite install

eggs
19-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Today i have been bored to tears, installing a few daikin splits.

Then when i got to wiring the electrics on the wall mounts, i could not get the electrical covers off without forcing them slightly.
Then i opened the remote controller box to find no cable.

So my mind wondered to the samsung splits where i couldnt get a screwdriver to fit in properly, or find the earth connection, and had to strip the wallmount completly to change the adresses on a multi.

Then came the toshiba casings, that in my experience never to go back together again after a service.

I Wondered "What is everybodies favorite air con kit to work on, and why?

Mine is Mitsubitshi Electric, because it is simple to take apart and rebuild, when you open one up, everthing is easy to see and work on.They just seem to be so logically laid out.

cheers

eggs

Temprite
20-02-2005, 05:37 AM
G'day eggs.

Mine would definitely be Daikin.

But it probably depends what you work on the most and are most familiar with.

Iwould work with Daikin probably 80% compared to other brands.

I find LG the worst to install because of the way they sit against the wall and their back up service and supply of parts is slow.But recently they have lifted their game slightly.

frank
20-02-2005, 07:46 PM
G'day eggs.

Mine would definitely be Daikin.

But it probably depends what you work on the most and are most familiar with.

Iwould work with Daikin probably 80% compared to ther brands.

I find LG the worst to install because of the way they sit against the wall and their back up service and supply of parts is slow.But recently they have lifted their game slightly.

What more could I say :)

botrous
20-02-2005, 07:54 PM
I hate installing , last week we had to install 3 lebanese made unites of 5 T each , including duct works .... sure ducting isn't my specialization , but i was the main contractor of the work , so i had to be there all the time ,,,, i hate that
But i'm certainly gald that i'm not a duct worker , how could they work like that , it's so hard and demands a lot of energy

botrous
20-02-2005, 07:56 PM
oops , i forgot to mention that the units were "weathermate"

rbartlett
20-02-2005, 09:50 PM
daikin are probably my favourite however they are not without criticism..the quality isn't 'quite' what it was (although reliability is still a-okay)

off the top of my head..

the pipes on the splits are too short -this is a real pain when passing through a normal outside wall

the electric panel on the small splits is a pain as you need to hold up the filter cover with your head -if the internal electric cover hinges without coming off and had a small lip then it would hold the filter cover up out of the way..

the under ceiling 4 way blow deflectors blast the air about 3 feet away from the unit -usually straight onto peoples necks..

the deflectors should be re-designed to be either reversable or straight with a bigger movement to compensate..

I usually always remove the double deflector and mount it upside down (which doesn't 'quite' fit right but that really improves the air flow..)

err..

cheers

richard

Peter_1
21-02-2005, 08:25 AM
the under ceiling 4 way blow deflectors blast the air about 3 feet away from the unit -usually straight onto peoples necks..

the deflectors should be re-designed to be either reversable or straight with a bigger movement to compensate..

Exactly the same problem with the Mitusbishi Electrics, it's all about the design of the coil. We once had almost a lawsuit for this of a client where we installed 14 pieces 4-way cassettes. He stated that the air velocity in the vincinity of the head went over the recommended air velocity. With recommended, I mean what the law is saying. And he was right, more than right.

Same problem with the one way cassette of Daikin, we made a special deflector for this and I thin we delivered more than 100 deflectors to Daikin Europe to solve the problem on this type of cassette. We made one in clear perspex (don't know the right name) An engineer of the R &D Daikin saw our solution in a chicken butchery when he was shopping. He called us why we did this. He then afterwards visited the shop again and we did some tests together with and without this deflector. We then supplied I think some 100's of it to them.

rbartlett
21-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Exactly the same problem with the Mitusbishi Electrics, it's all about the design of the coil. We once had almost a lawsuit for this of a client where we installed 14 pieces 4-way cassettes. He stated that the air velocity in the vincinity of the head went over the recommended air velocity. With recommended, I mean what the law is saying. And he was right, more than right.

Same problem with the one way cassette of Daikin, we made a special deflector for this and I thin we delivered more than 100 deflectors to Daikin Europe to solve the problem on this type of cassette. We made one in clear perspex (don't know the right name) An engineer of the R &D Daikin saw our solution in a chicken butchery when he was shopping. He called us why we did this. he then afterwards visited the shop and we did dome tests wit and without this deflector. We then supplied I think some 100's of it to them.

yes I have thought of fitting exactly the same thing to those siingle way blowers on daikin and one of my previous compaies did the exact same thing to an office block with about 50 single way blow ceiling cassettes

I remember marc and i discussing an airflow problem with a tricky install and thought of several differing types of deflectors

it's the way they design them.

ie when you switch from cooling to heat the deflectors are defaulted to blow down. this again may cause problems with the distribution but they don't allow for a full over ride of positioning..

the ceiling wall convertable -when fitting to a ceiling- springs to mind as a particulary bad example of poor air distribution when on heat mode.

cheers

richard

Temprite
21-02-2005, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=rbartlett]daikin are probably my favourite however they are not without criticism..the quality isn't 'quite' what it was (although reliability is still a-okay)

off the top of my head..

the pipes on the splits are too short -this is a real pain when passing through a normal outside wall

G'day Richard.
This was one of the problems we had in Australia,but lots of dealers were complaining and the problem was rectified.In the interim period Daikin were offering a pipe extension kit.which you could attach for thicker walls.

rbartlett
21-02-2005, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=rbartlett]daikin are probably my favourite however they are not without criticism..the quality isn't 'quite' what it was (although reliability is still a-okay)

off the top of my head..

G'day Richard.
This was one of the problems we had in Australia,but lots of dealers were complaining and the problem was rectified.In the interim period Daikin were offering a pipe extension kit.which you could attach for thicker walls.

that's interesting..I'll bombard daikin east with emails!!

where is au are you btw?

cheers

richard

Temprite
22-02-2005, 11:09 AM
that's interesting..I'll bombard daikin east with emails!!

where is au are you btw?

cheers

richard

G'day Richard
Sorry I could'nt understand what you were asking but If you are asking where I am from,I live in Victoria and about as South as you can go.

I will see if I can find a copy of the letter they sent.(If I ever get time.)

Temprite
17-05-2005, 11:44 AM
daikin are probably my favourite however they are not without criticism..the quality isn't 'quite' what it was (although reliability is still a-okay)

off the top of my head..

the pipes on the splits are too short -this is a real pain when passing through a normal outside wall.

About 2 weeks ago went to a training session on a new release unit.

Pipes for this new unit are back to the short ones again.