PDA

View Full Version : 2 second acid test / gas release

Andy W
03-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Today i was asked to use a qwikcheck 2 second acid test, basically you push it agains a shrader depressor and allow 2 seconds of gas to pass through which is lost to atmosphere.

Now what are your thoughts on an untrained person with no gas handling qualification carrying out this test, there is always a possibilty that the shrader could stick, frothy oil could be discharged, it could be attached to a liquid sharader by mistake by a person unfamilar with a system.

I have spoken to the person concerned regarding this and have my own thoughts on the subject but would like to hear from others what they think.

The test kit is here http://qwik.com/qwik-check.jsp

Paul J
04-03-2010, 04:04 AM
I think it's a typical product released by a manufacturer getting around the laws of zero emmissions to make money, I realise that using a standard test where oil is drawn from the system into a small jar would probably release the same amount of gas but you are correct when you say the schrader may stick or the service guy might connect it in the wrong place, the potential to loose gas is higher than the old method, only my thoughts, what do others think:cool:

Andy W
04-03-2010, 09:18 AM
I personally think an untrained person without gas handling should not be allowed to carry out the task and was what i told my customer as they dont employ refrigeration engineers as i do the work for them, they were hoping as it was only a 2 second test that they could do it, as there customer has asked that every cabinet which comes through has to be acid test even if it is working fine, incidentally some of the systems dont have access fittings so a line tap valve would have to be fitted and this surely would not be allowed.

Argus
04-03-2010, 10:48 AM

This type of thing where an oil sample is squirted onto a litmus base has been around for many years and if you look at the marketing blurb, it's American, where presumably, its use is legal.

Strictly speaking, under current regulations, it would be illegal for an untrained (i.e. non-F Gas trained and regulated) person to use it in the UK and EU.

Not only that, the intentional release of refrigerant to atmosphere, however little the quantity, is also prohibited......

I doubt if any UK suppliers would be able sell it for these reasons.

Andy W
04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
It is a big supermarket chain which is supplying the test kit and requesting its use.

Brian_UK
04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I think it's a typical product released by a manufacturer getting around the laws of zero emissions to make money, <snip>
These testers have been around for years, nothing new but now-a-days not allowed in the EU under F-Gas.

TEVM8
04-03-2010, 09:43 PM
It is a big supermarket chain which is supplying the test kit and requesting its use.

And which BIG supermarket chain would this be?:rolleyes:

Andy W
04-03-2010, 09:50 PM
And which BIG supermarket chain would this be?:rolleyes:Not sure if i am allowed to say as i am doing the work for a cabinet refurbisher who are in turn doing it for a big name.

coolhibby1875
05-03-2010, 11:01 AM
i really dont see much of a problem with doing this, as to remove oil from a system you are then left with contaminated waste, which in turn req's relevent waste transfer notes and safe disposal all which cost money, so compare that to a wee squirt of the cool stuff, i dont see a problem. I,M,O