PDA

View Full Version : Shell SD Oil

Latte
15-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Hi Guys,

I have been working on a few OLD !!!! packs over the last couple of weeks all running on R408 (used to be R502 when installed) and all using Shell SD oil which if i am not mistaken is a mineral/alkibenzine mixture.

Can someone explain what this is about, why use this as opposed to a straight AB oil. From what i can see it is more expensive that either mineral or synthetic so it's not a cost option. Why use it.

Regards

Fatboy

dill
15-02-2005, 09:52 AM
thats because they where easy to retrofit when swapping the gas from fx10 to 408. no need to worry about mixing different types of oil. there was a problem though in that if you didnt get all of the old gas and oil out you were left with a black sludge witch tended to block the fine filters on the danfoss pulse valves favoured by some supermarkets. sainsburys used to allow about 10 hours to retrofit a pack with 300kg of refrigerant so as to have the cabinets ready for use the next day. cutting corners I know but all they cared about was having fully stocked cabinets for the next day's trade. I used to spend weeks after, cleaning filters and pack driers until the pack would settle down again. good refrigeration practice meant nothing to these large supermarkets as long as the shelves were full.

Mark
16-02-2005, 09:18 PM
I agree dill ,SD oil mixes better when retrofittng R502 to R408 or R12 to R409 to name two drop ins.SD will mix with most ,if not all transtional refrigerants,no worries. :)