PDA

View Full Version : purging reclaim unit

lees8110
02-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi All,

Just a quick, very basic question,

Just wondering what methods you all use to purge your reclaim unit to clean it ready for another gas?

Cheers Guys

cool runings
02-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Hi All,

Just a quick, very basic question,

Just wondering what methods you all use to purge your reclaim unit to clean it ready for another gas?

Cheers Guys

Most good makes have a purge facility.

They deal with most of the gas but the last bit has to be vented.

When you start again with a new refrigerant just purge a bit
of gas through the thing.

If you use only one refrigerant then do a self purge and then just valve it off.

Cool runings

lees8110
03-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Cheers Cool Runnings,

would it be worth purging some ofn through it to help rid of any oil particles?

monkey spanners
03-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Cheers Cool Runnings,

would it be worth purging some ofn through it to help rid of any oil particles?

If you are concerned that your recovery machine has dirty oil in it (and it an oil free one) you could run some new clean refrigerant through it to clean it, i've only ever done this once after a really nasty burnout.

Mostly i use the self purge facility, and if the refrigerants going to be used again and the recovery machine was used on a different type before i would vac it out and all the hoses.

I wouldn't use nitrogen as to my mind some refrigerant even if it is the wrong type is better than nitrogen in a system.

paul_h
13-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Get an oil-less reclaimer with self purging, you never have to worry about it for 'reclaim to dispose' procedures.

If you are pumping down to reuse the refrigerant ie you are using a clean reclaim cylinder (a verified clean pump down cylinder), then yeah I would reclaim a small amount of virgin gas through the system to a dirty reclaim cylinder, then vac out the guages, lines, reclaimer and clean reclaim cylinder before use.

edit: It would have to be more than few kg of verified good untainted refrigerant in the system for me to bother with that, due to the time it takes, the cost of the clean pump down cylinder (costs me $85), the wasting of a bit of virgin refrigerant etc. Not worth it for small systems, because even after all that, how can you be sure the refrigerant you've reclaimed to reuse is clean?