PDA

View Full Version : Three questions about expansion valves

Contactor
26-02-2010, 10:33 PM
:D Hello

1 - Do TEV's (internally or externally equalised) have to be fitted on a horizontal pipe or can they go on the vertical? If so, can the bulb go on the vertical?

2 - What limits the distance between the TEV and evaporator inlet? (Without changing the design)? Would 500mm on a typical cellar cooler be ok for example?

3 - Is it ok to use reducers either side of a TEV?

Thanks. :)

Brian_UK
26-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Three questions but only two numbered, you're trying to trick us ;)

Quote from the Sporlan documents on TEV...
TEVs may be mounted in any position, but they should be installed
as close to the evaporator as possible.

Have a read up on their literature, there is a lot that can be learned from them, I know I do.

http://www.sporlanonline.com/literature.shtml

Contactor
27-02-2010, 07:42 AM
thanks brian

third quetion now added, apologies

Peter_1
27-02-2010, 11:21 AM
In most split and multisplit systems, the expansion valve is in the outdoor unit, so....

Contactor
27-02-2010, 01:33 PM
This is for a lu-ve cellar cooler and two lu-ve cabinet evaporators. Lu've instructions say the TEV should be directly onto the distributor and that the bulb has to be 500mm away, but I don't have room.

Brian_UK
27-02-2010, 11:38 PM
This is for a lu-ve cellar cooler and two lu-ve cabinet evaporators. Lu've instructions say the TEV should be directly onto the distributor and that the bulb has to be 500mm away, but I don't have room.
There's your answer. :)

icecube51
03-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Hey Peter,

yore wright to, but this is because the are reverseble heating/cooling.....yes?

Ice

BESC5240
03-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey Peter,

yore wright to, but this is because the are reverseble heating/cooling.....yes?

Ice

Also most of the 'Only Cooling' types have the expansion device (capilary or valve) in the outdour unit. Main reason : noise limitation in the indoor unit.

frederik79
03-03-2010, 05:41 PM
noise limitation in the indoor unit = true :)

tip : always check the way the bulp or sensor is connected to the tube. (this could save compressor lives :) )

Aik
08-05-2010, 08:41 PM
2 - What limits the distance between the TEV and evaporator inlet? (Without changing the design)? Would 500mm on a typical cellar cooler be ok for example?

Danfoss says that maximum distance between TEV and evaporator ilnet would never been more than distance equal 7 diameters of connected liquid pipe.

Aik
08-05-2010, 08:45 PM
If so, can the bulb go on the vertical?

Yes it can be...but usually it place in horizontal pipe...

nike123
09-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Danfoss says that maximum distance between TEV and evaporator ilnet would never been more than distance equal 7 diameters of connected liquid pipe.

By evaporator inlet did you mean distributor?

Aik
09-05-2010, 08:15 AM
By evaporator inlet did you mean distributor?
Yes, distributor.

nike123
09-05-2010, 09:11 AM
1 - Do TEV's (internally or externally equalised) have to be fitted on a horizontal pipe or can they go on the vertical?When you installing TXV on evaporator with distributor, place valve exit vertically (preferably downward) in order that gravity has no influence on equal distribution of liquid refrigerant.

Contactor
12-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Presumably Danfoss are saying that because they have to have something to design to rather than being essential. Also pointing it downwards on the vertical would be under ideal conditions.

I suppose if you have it one metre away at an angle it will still do the job, right?

desA
07-06-2010, 06:24 PM
If you have some distance between TXV & distributor, try to make the elbows - if any - as large radius sweeps. What most of the literature is really bleating about is trying to keep the 2-phase fluid as a mixture rather than have it separate into a liquid only & vapour only stream. This could make the distributor's life a little more tricky.

Noise can also become a bit of an issue with long lengths plus elbows between TXV & distributor.

Can you do it? Yes, sure - it works, as long as you are careful. If it didn't, then how on earth do the TXV's in outdoor units get the job done? How many techs bother overly with the 2-phase line between outdoor unit & indoor evap?

al
07-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Bulbs ideally on horizontal, you can use reducers either side of the valve, can you place even a short piece of pipe vertically into the distributor? I've stuck valves externally to rooms especially where space is tight.

alec