PDA

View Full Version : Indoor snow

gregd1401
22-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Hi Guys
I was wondering if anybody has any experience with indoor snow domes. I am after information on heat load calculations and types of equipment used and how to combat humidity that would almost be at saturation. Any help in any of these areas would be appreciated.

Brian_UK
22-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Apart from sking in one, no, sorry.

http://www.innovag.de/powderstar/e_index.html

charlie n
23-02-2010, 05:53 PM
I've worked on the design of three. Two of which are built and operating. How can I help?

gregd1401
24-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Hi Charlie
We do portable and permanent skating rinks in Australia. I believe there is a market for indoor skiing in Aust and was curious as to the type of equipment used and refrigeration capacities etc. Not in a position to engage a consulting engineer yet. Would just like some facts and figures to do a feasability study. Any help would be appreciated.

charlie n
25-02-2010, 03:33 AM
There are one or two ski domes in Austrailia according tom my latest information.
A ski dome building is basically a big cold storage building. The cooling load is calculated like a cold store but with a lot of people inside. Fresh air is cooled and dehumidified, usually with desicant dehumidifiers. inside conditions range from -2 to -10 with 70% RH. The Munters guys in Austrailia are familiar with the application. Snow can be made by spraying(atomizing) chilled water into -10 air, by a low temperature snow gun made by a German company (Brian posted the link) or by blowing ice made on a flake ice machine. Typical cooling loads work out to about 10W/M2. Installed refrigeration & ventilation plant sells for about 250 Euro/M2 of refrigerated dome. Typical sizes are 200 to 300M long x 40 to 60M wide. Rise varies from top to bottom but the average is about 0.2 to 0.25M rise per M run. Cooling is usually by refrigerated glycol in air coolers. Most refrigeration plants are ammonia.