PDA

View Full Version : waitrose gas police!

coolhibby1875
18-02-2010, 10:30 AM
hi all see waitrose have employed 3 gas auditors who will travel around the country visiting stores which seem to be losing gas, on arrival if they find small leaks, like a loose cap they will fix it ect,ect.
however if they find larger leaks that require pumping down of systems and gas removal, they tag where the leak is and log a call with the maintaing contractor to fix.
i think this is a excelent idea and Waitrose should be applauded, as this will take huge steps in the loss of gas, it also means more profit for the contractors who will be saving on refrigerant and hours spent leak testing:D.
your thoughts on this?

taz24
18-02-2010, 12:59 PM
hi all see waitrose have employed 3 gas auditors who will travel around the country visiting stores which seem to be losing gas, on arrival if they find small leaks, like a loose cap they will fix it ect,ect.
however if they find larger leaks that require pumping down of systems and gas removal, they tag where the leak is and log a call with the maintaing contractor to fix.
i think this is a excelent idea and Waitrose should be applauded, as this will take huge steps in the loss of gas, it also means more profit for the contractors who will be saving on refrigerant and hours spent leak testing:D.
your thoughts on this?

I think all leak detection is good.

I just wonder why the contractors arn't doing it as part
of their maintenance contract.

Any leaks found by the stores staff to me indicates that the
maintenance is not being carried out correctly and they may
want to reflect that in the amount of mony they pay for the service.

Or even a fine system of some sort??

taz

coolhibby1875
18-02-2010, 03:07 PM
hi Taz these guys dont work for waitrose, they are employed by Oaksmere. Waitrose are going all green, they are retro fitting every pack they have even the new one's with r407a, this is all aimed at reducing thier carbon footprint, when these gas auditors attend site they will be inspecting pack headers and compiling a list on what they deem might be needing replaced in the near future. I think its all meant in a possitive manner and will not be used to batter the contractors, But there again you never know what supermarkets are going to do!

Grizzly
18-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Just a thought has anyone explained to them how difficult it can be to trace R407c leaks?
The refrigerant molecules are approx 7 times smaller than the nitrogen we use to leak check with!
Grizzly

chemi-cool
18-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Just a thought has anyone explained to them how difficult it can be to trace R407c leaks?
The refrigerant molecules are approx 7 times smaller than the nitrogen we use to leak check with!
Grizzly

You should always leave some refrigerant in the system when you leak testing with OFN or when you order the OFN, ask your supplier to add up to 3% Helium to it, now you can trace the smallest leak.

CAPTAINBIRDSEYE
18-02-2010, 09:11 PM
sounds like a good idea coolhibby1875!
at the end of the day oaksmere are very constructive guys and im sure feedback will be of that nature sounds a winner:)

supermarketguy
18-02-2010, 10:48 PM
City used to have an engineer who did this, he went round all the Asda stores in the uk that had a high gas usage or if a leak could not be found by the service engineers.

By all accounts it was pretty successful and saved the city/ Asda a few quid.

WebRam
19-02-2010, 09:22 PM
City used to have an engineer who did this, he went round all the Asda stores in the uk that had a high gas usage or if a leak could not be found by the service engineers.

By all accounts it was pretty successful and saved the city/ Asda a few quid.

they used to is the word, they no longer have one, as far as I know.

fazzamouse
20-02-2010, 01:06 PM
if waitrose are having to this,then the contactors are not doing the job proper,simples.....

multisync
20-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I thought ASDA were putting a Bakewell tart smell into their fridge systems?

Silhouette
20-02-2010, 06:40 PM
The other option was a "Dogs***" smell!

coolhibby1875
20-02-2010, 08:03 PM
hi fazzamouse, i think your missing the point, everytime a contractor adds gas or fixes a leak its reported on the sbt, when a store has a few times when gas is added i think they send a team in to inspect the systems. Its all aimed at reducing there carbon footprint.

fazzamouse
20-02-2010, 09:22 PM
coolhibby,do waitrose use one contactor for the service work or several across the country?

coolhibby1875
21-02-2010, 10:13 AM
serveral..

CAPTAINBIRDSEYE
23-02-2010, 09:23 PM
as Bjork once said ..............................................

its oh so quiet shhhhhhhhhh shhhhhhhhhh lol

CAPTAINBIRDSEYE
23-02-2010, 09:24 PM
sorry but i just cant get that mad womans voice out my head

tony--1
23-02-2010, 10:30 PM
:off topic:

as Bjork once said ..............................................

its oh so quiet shhhhhhhhhh shhhhhhhhhh lol

sorry but i just cant get that mad womans voice out my head

coolhibby1875
23-02-2010, 10:52 PM
??????????????????

Colin G
23-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Is Bjork carrying out the leak tests?

CAPTAINBIRDSEYE
24-02-2010, 10:23 PM
lol i wish maybe i can ask her if she has a gas handling certificate

coolhibby1875
01-03-2010, 11:58 AM
to add a bit to this thread, page 10 acr news, Title, SMELLS LIKE A TART it goes on to say Waitrose are to add a bakewell tart smell to the hfc gas, they go on to say that the smell of Almonds and Cherry have been very successful during trials, it also goes on to say they are also considering other smells. I am pretty sure if someone done a big **** in the system after a night on the Guiness and curry they would have calls getting logged pretty quickly, imagine a roll in milk stinking of farts instead of bakewell tarts, lol:)

multisync
01-03-2010, 03:18 PM
to add a bit to this thread, page 10 acr news, Title, SMELLS LIKE A TART it goes on to say Waitrose are to add a bakewell tart smell to the hfc gas, they go on to say that the smell of Almonds and Cherry have been very successful during trials, it also goes on to say they are also considering other smells. I am pretty sure if someone done a big **** in the system after a night on the Guiness and curry they would have calls getting logged pretty quickly, imagine a roll in milk stinking of farts instead of bakewell tarts, lol:)

Hardly adding when I posted this on the 20th!:cool:

coolhibby1875
01-03-2010, 03:57 PM
no what you added was asda were doing this which they are not, i am simply quoting a article in the acr mag which i found to be funny, i am sorry for causing offence for adding to your misinformed quote on the 20th!!

multisync
01-03-2010, 05:05 PM
no what you added was asda were doing this which they are not, i am simply quoting a article in the acr mag which i found to be funny, i am sorry for causing offence for adding to your misinformed quote on the 20th!!

Yeh you're right we're both idiots -but I was an idiot first!:D

coolhibby1875
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
thats true :)

Squaresilver
03-03-2010, 09:57 AM
your thoughts on this?

Why employ people to travel around the country, using all that lovely fuel, when you can just install gas detection systems?
Morrisons have had them in place for years, and have alarm monitoring that alerts both the contractor and the morrisons fridge department engineers. Plus its all logged, checked, reportable etc. Perhaps waitrose ought to think about it more..

coolhibby1875
03-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Why employ people to travel around the country, using all that lovely fuel, when you can just install gas detection systems?
Morrisons have had them in place for years, and have alarm monitoring that alerts both the contractor and the morrisons fridge department engineers. Plus its all logged, checked, reportable etc. Perhaps waitrose ought to think about it more..

They do have leak detection in every waitrose store thay use cpc panels, to good affect, they are just being a wee bit more proactive, and imo leading the way forward when it comes to gas usage!

yorkshire
03-03-2010, 10:17 PM

In the newer stores that i used to cover they only had it in the plantrooms and on the coldstores, there was nothing on the sales floor cases.