PDA

View Full Version : leaking fridge nightmare

molly
17-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Hello there. I have a liebherr fridge freezer which is leaking. The drain hole at the back of the fridge on the right hand side keeps freezing up which then causes the overflow water to fill the bottom of the fridge and then spill out on the floor. How do I stop it freezing and blocking the overflow? Going through a lot of kitchen towel and the salad boxes keep getting water in and ruining my veg despite me trying to remember to keep them forward. I did see an earlier posting from years ago but that was about a freezer so not sure if it is applicable. Can anyone suggest a quick fix if there is one? Big Thank You.

frank
17-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Not being an expert on domestic fridges, but I would hazard a guess that your drain hole is not clear - maybe a build up of crud deep down the hole.

I would suggest getting a couple of them BIG pipe cleaners and poking about in the drain to try to clear the hole all the way through to the little tray on top of the compressor at the back.

molly
17-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks Frank. Will try that although I now need to know where to buy pipe cleaners having not bought any since I was a small girl for my dad's pipe! Sure the local hardware shop may have some actually. Many thanks

Toosh
17-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks Frank. Will try that although I now need to know where to buy pipe cleaners having not bought any since I was a small girl for my dad's pipe! Sure the local hardware shop may have some actually. Many thanks

Hi Molly Use A wire coat hanger if you can`t find a pipe cleaner. make sure you clear the ice with water before you do

Toosh

spimps
17-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Use an electrical cable tie,no danger of puncturing the drain pipe,also have a look round the back of the fridge,above the motor is a plastic tray which the drain goes into,the end of the pipe may be blocked with fluff/dust etc.

CHIEF DELPAC
18-02-2010, 08:36 PM
molly I used a bycycle pump that had an attachment for filling football bladders. I would stick the attachment in the drain hole and pump the pump to blow the crud out of the drain tube C.D.

molly
19-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Wow.... just signed on and feel inspired by all the suggestions. Now I just have to work out how to do this without my 3 year old trying to strangle her bear with the wire tie and explode her dolls head with the ball pump while I try not to move the fridge onto her foot while she endeavours to 'help' me. Think I will wait to try this until she is at nursery on Monday. Many thanks everyone and I will let you know how it goes.