PDA

View Full Version : Zenith Dehumidifier

Hitech
15-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I have a year old Zenith Dehumidifier that quit Dehumidifying. The compressor ran but no delta T on the pipes. The service port looked like it was crimped and braised by a chimp :) and I am sure that is were the leak was. I cut the stub off (high side) and installed a schreder fitting. The pressure was just above ambient when I cut into it. Not knowing how much ***** to put in (R-22) I put in about 3 OZ. The compressor would start but the current draw was high and no delta T to speak of and the inlet pipe from the filter to the compressor started to ice up. Turning the unit off and then back on relieved a stalled compressor. I took about 1/2 oz of ***** out and the unit started working. but still stalls unless the off time is a bit over 5 min. the performance seems a bit low. what is a good way to find the sweet spot on the amount of ***** for this unit?

Brian_UK
15-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Charge by sub-cooling.

Did you do a leak test before you recharged it? Leak may have sucked in air and moisture could be blocking the pinch points.

Hitech
15-02-2010, 08:18 PM
As I mentioned it had positive (slight) pressure in it. I leak checked it after I fitted the service valve I purged it with dry nitrogen and pulled a hard vacuum which it held over night. It is now working but I think it is over serviced. I will check the sub cool as you suggest.

Brian_UK
15-02-2010, 11:05 PM
I appreciate the positive pressure but I was thinking about the unit running and possibly pulling a vacuum due to the low charge. You seem to have covered that problem anyway.:)

Hitech
16-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I pulled some ***** out until I got about 6 Deg SC and the unit seems to be working correctly. Thanks for the advice.:)

Brian_UK
16-02-2010, 07:02 PM
OK, thanks for the update.