PDA

View Full Version : How are the Daikin Altherma units?

LucMan
15-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Any input on the quality and reliability of the Altherma units would be appreciated.
I am in the US and the Altherma air to water units will be available to me shortly. I have been installing Mitsubishi units for 20+ years and Fujitsu for 5 and they have been extremely reliable. But I have no experience with Daikin equipment.
I have several applications for the Altherma units. Here in NY we have had quite a few -15 C days this January.
I would like to know how these units are working out for you guys in GB as they have been available to you for several years.
The Mitsubishi air to water units are not yet available to me yet.
thanks

frank
15-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Hello LucMan and welcome to the forum.

If you use the 'Search' function above you will find quite a few threads about the Altherma which just might give you some insight.

If you experience low temps around -15(C or F?) then I would definately fit the additional Baseplate heater. ;)

multisync
15-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Hello LucMan and welcome to the forum.

If you use the 'Search' function above you will find quite a few threads about the Altherma which just might give you some insight.

If you experience low temps around -15(C or F?) then I would definately fit the additional Baseplate heater. ;)

It's all there Frank, it just wants looking for...:D

However OP why not look at the Mitsibushi solution?

frank
15-02-2010, 07:28 PM
However OP why not look at the Mitsibushi solution?

Did you miss this Multi? ;)

VRVIII
15-02-2010, 07:32 PM

They are still busy trying to copy the Altherma systems :p
Similar to VRV 20 years ago :cool:

LucMan
16-02-2010, 12:24 AM
It seems that the Europeans get all the new equipment before we do. No air to water heat pumps (for space heating) available to us at this time, to be released shortly in the US. Daikin will be the first.
The reason that I am interested in these units is because there are quite a few solar PV systems installed and clients are interested in electric space heating. Lots of interest in Heat pumps as our electric rates have been stable not so with oil or gas. As our winter temps can be quite cold the only options have been Geo thermal with ground loops or vertical wells. Or air to air HP. Not always an acceptable solution. Many people can't tolerate warm air heating.
It will be great to be able to offer a hydronic solution.
Seems we have reached the break even point between electricity ( for heat pump use) and oil at $2.50 gallon of oil and 17 cents KWH delivered.
Natural gas availabilty is limited.

multisync
16-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Did you miss this Multi? ;)

I certainly DID!:D

defender1be
18-02-2010, 12:01 PM
They are still busy trying to copy the Altherma systems :p
Similar to VRV 20 years ago :cool:

do you mean electric or heavy?
becouse mitsubishi electric zubadan air to water systems are superior to altherma.
stable power output until -15°c and keep going until -25°c.:p

nottsacgirl
19-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Way superior to the Ecodan. Far more models in the range in terms of duty and options on split system with hydrobox separate or combined called the monobloc. They also do a High temp version bringing water off at 80deg, so products for new build and retrofit. Also a good range of water tanks.

Odd job
19-02-2010, 10:37 PM
becouse mitsubishi electric zubadan air to water systems are superior to altherma.

Is there any printed technical information on the Zubadan? I'm interested to see the power inputs at lower ambients.

olddog
20-02-2010, 09:59 PM
.........Zubadan.............

Is this known as Hypercore in the southern hemisphere ?

( except perhaps the compressor rotates in the other direction :) )

brunstar
15-07-2010, 11:08 PM

You say that it does not have capacity drop but all heat pumps have capacity drop, it is how you market it and how you understand it.
The way that ecodan get away with this is that it may have a constant heat output but if you look at the technical data for the unit it is a larger unit which is labelled up as a smaller one.
When the capacity starts to drop the input power goes up hence the constant heat output but the power in goes up and the COP comes down.
It is just how you want to market it really, technical data books tell the truth....most of the time.