PDA

View Full Version : daikin VRVll intermitant e3 fault

redroge
12-02-2010, 07:54 PM
has anyone had intermitant e3 (hp) faults, reset the units by switching the remotes off and on and ran them all day with no trips in heating mode,the pressures were correct on both master and slave units,suspect theres a valve sticking on start up in the morning as units had tripped again today, any ideas

VRVIII
12-02-2010, 08:44 PM
has anyone had intermitant e3 (hp) faults, reset the units by switching the remotes off and on and ran them all day with no trips in heating mode,the pressures were correct on both master and slave units,suspect theres a valve sticking on start up in the morning as units had tripped again today, any ideas
Hi,
Have you witnessed the unit tripping on HP?
Does the unit only trip at start up?
How long does the compressor run before the unit trips?

Probable causes:
Faulty/sticking reversing valve (compressor will only operate for a few seconds)
Faulty outdoor expansion valve (normally sub heat exchanger valve if only at start up)
Faulty solenoid valve Y5S
Faulty HP switch

Also remember the system has automatic compressor rotation at start up i.e. 1st start - master inverter will start first / 2nd start - slave 1 inverter will start first / 3rd start - slave 2 inverter will start first.

You can also verify which module and which HP switch has caused the error by using monitoring mode setting 14, this is explained in the service manual.

redroge
15-02-2010, 06:16 PM
thanks vrvIII
have not caught the units tripping only suspect its at start up,will take your info next time i go to site
cheers.

cool#9
15-02-2010, 06:29 PM
thanks vrvIII
have not caught the units tripping only suspect its at start up,will take your info next time i go to site
cheers.
Hi redroge,
Also check the total amount of refrigerant maybe it's wrong (overcharge) i mean factory charge seen on the nameplate + total additional length ( check twice this last one upon the field length with each liquid diameters ).
I've already had a faulty check valve on the high pressure inverter compressor side on vrv II and III.
You will have the problem at startup quickly, then verify the difference between your high pressure gauge and the vdc value of the high pressure sensor (if you don't have the service checker) , also the reverse valve may cause this problem as VRV III said.
rgds
cool#9

VRVIII
15-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi redroge,
Also check the total amount of refrigerant maybe it's wrong (overcharge) i mean factory charge seen on the nameplate + total additional length ( check twice this last one upon the field length with each liquid diameters ).
I've already had a faulty check valve on the high pressure inverter compressor side on vrv II and III.
You will have the problem at startup quickly, then verify the difference between your high pressure gauge and the vdc value of the high pressure sensor (if you don't have the service checker) , also the reverse valve may cause this problem as VRV III said.
rgds
cool#9
Cool#9,

Refrigerant over charge will not cause an HP trip on VRV, however it may be possible when operating in cooling with high ambient temperature. I have attended sites complaining of capacity shortage, when the refrigerant charge was reclaimed we found the unit contained double the correct charge amount :eek:

After operating for 30min in heating mode, excessive overcharging would result in:

Capacity shortage
Decrease in compressor capacity
Very low suction pressures due to outdoor EEV’s closing
Low discharge temperatures
Low Δp between discharge & liquid

VRVIII
16-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Whould you please explain the reason for outdoor EEV’s closing?
Hi
In heating mode an excessive over charge of refrigerant will cause the unit to enter heating overload control, this function will then:
Decrease compressor capacity – Reducing HP
Decrease outdoor EEV opening and outdoor fan speed – Reducing LP and heat absorbed by outdoor heat exchangers.

choochoo!
16-05-2010, 11:20 AM
I have the same problem i have a size 10 and 14 together 3pipe system, we have the daikin service tool and i monitored the system running in cooling only found no E3 trip and the system matched the target parameters.Same again in heating only no trips and operating OK changed to equal parallel heat/cool found trip occurred when system would start to shut down, found the h,p reducing valve would de-energize and a standard compressor would start? i watched discharge pressure on gauge, which went above trip limit causing E3 Tried again by turning all indoor units off at same time and the fault occurs as the condensers ramp down? if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated thanks

El Padre
16-05-2010, 12:54 PM
You can program the Master to run without the slave, and then the slave to run without the master, and put both modules in test mode ( thermostat on) this should narrow down the possibilities.

From memory its setting 38 and 39 to "code out" the master and then the slave, but its all in the service manual, don't forget to return to the original settings when you have finished.

Cheers

VRVIII
16-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I have the same problem i have a size 10 and 14 together 3pipe system, we have the daikin service tool and i monitored the system running in cooling only found no E3 trip and the system matched the target parameters.Same again in heating only no trips and operating OK changed to equal parallel heat/cool found trip occurred when system would start to shut down, found the h,p reducing valve would de-energize and a standard compressor would start? i watched discharge pressure on gauge, which went above trip limit causing E3 Tried again by turning all indoor units off at same time and the fault occurs as the condensers ramp down? if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated thanks

Hi,

Are the units VRV2 M series or VRV3 P series?

found trip occurred when system would start to shut down
Do you mean when the system was reducing capacity or when all indoors were switched off/thermo off?

Have you checked the calibration of both suction & discharge pressure transducers? (verify gauge press & value indicated on service checker are same)

sachin230
17-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Find the attached zip file for Mulfunction Tree Analysis for actuation of HPS in heating operation.It can help you

choochoo!
17-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi,

Are the units VRV2 M series or VRV3 P series?
Do you mean when the system was reducing capacity or when all indoors were switched off/thermo off?

Have you checked the calibration of both suction & discharge pressure transducers? (verify gauge press & value indicated on service checker are same)

Hi VRVIII the units are VRV2 M series , the trip occures when you switch off/thermo off all the indoor units, so there is no demand for condensor to run. Have checked all temp sensor and transducer calibration using the charts at the back of the service manual.:confused:
so the conden

VRVIII
18-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi VRVIII the units are VRV2 M series , the trip occures when you switch off/thermo off all the indoor units, so there is no demand for condensor to run. Have checked all temp sensor and transducer calibration using the charts at the back of the service manual.:confused:
so the conden

Hi Choochoo,

When the unit switches off (all indoors off or thermo off) it will enter pump down residual operation to remove liquid from heat exchangers. The control of the function depends on system operation mode and mode of outdoor heat exchanger at time of thermo off. There is a table explaining the control for each condition on page 75 of the service manual Si39-306.

I would suggest you check:

The hot gas solenoid valve Y1S (SVP) as this should be energised/open during this function.
Solenoid valve Y5S (SVR) if the unit trips when operating in heating or heat recovery mode prior to therm off.