PDA

View Full Version : Fog Horn.

coolhandlew
11-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Hello all, I'm working on a site at the moment where the fire alarm is disconnected. In the meantime there are air horns dotted around to alert in the event of fire. Anyway, I was looking at one of the horns today and noticed that the propellant in the can is listed as 134a. I presume this is R134a (tetraflouroethane) and therefore illegal to use like this. I don't know how old they are.
Am I wrong?

The label on the can says "caution pressurised gaz 134a"

Samwitch
12-02-2010, 03:38 PM
If you have a look at the details of asthma inhalers you will see they also use R134a as a propellant, as far as I'm aware that is okay under F-Gas

fridge doctor
12-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Many years ago when our industry was forced to rid itself of *****s - even though there was conflicting evidence at the time that *****s in the refrigeration industry were ACTUALLY CAUSING A PROBLEM... The first 'replacement' on the scene, was 134a. Hastily and expensively cobbled together by the chemical companies under ORDERS !! (I recall that the likes of ICI and DuPont had been asked to find a replacement for R22 as long ago as 1968 - but had failed to manage that task. Yet when, many years later instructed by their governments, they succeeded in 'discovering' R134a as a replacement for R12 within months)!! To my way of thinking, there is little point in producing an expensive replacement if the replacement is virtually - if not completely - ozone depleting. I am not entirely sure why, but the legislation that surrounded the old ***** gases in respect of escape to the atmosphere, somehow also transferred itself to the new (non ozone depleting) refrigerants viz R134a, when theoretically if the new gases are safe what is the problem?

coolhandlew
12-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Is there not an issue with the massive GWP though. 1300!!! Kyoto etc