PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent spare compressors (in storage) from developing leaky seals?

Z2TT
09-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Hi,

I've noticed most second hand compressors from wreckers have a leak as they havent been in usage for a while but just in storage.

I'm wondering for my own spare compressors that i've taken off cars I've wrecked, is there anyway to prevent them from developing shaft seal leaks?

Also is there a risk when buying new compressors, because wouldn't they have developed shaft seal leaks from staying on the shelf?

Is there any measures that manufactures can take when designing their compressors to increase shelf life?

Thankyou.

CHIEF DELPAC
09-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Z2TT We aquired some used NH3 comp. The compressors openings were sealed with plugs or blank flanges and were filled with refrigeration oil. When the comps. were placed in service we had no leaky seals. C.D.

Z2TT
13-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Thankyou.

So I assume as long as the compressor is filled up with oil, there is no way for non static seals like shaft seals to dry up (Since they are covered in oil).

Does this apply EVEN if the compressor is unused for a long period.

For example if I take a compressor out of a vehicle and keep it for a year in the garage, and I fill it up with oil, should the oil keep the seals in good condition?

Or do I require to spin the clutch every few times to allow the seal to move around and lubricate itself with oil, or is this not require if I fill the compressor up with oil prior to storing?

Thankyou very much.

NoNickName
13-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Manufacturers are not interested in preserving shelf life. If any, they would reduce it.

chemi-cool
13-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I have at a customer's plant room a spare open drive Vilter, full with refrigerant oil just above the shaft.

The rest is under pressure with OFN and there is low side gauge for making sure the pressure is always above 0.

Z2TT
15-02-2010, 06:27 AM
Manufacturers are not interested in preserving shelf life. If any, they would reduce it.

Then surely all new cars would have shaft seal leaks from the compressor sitting too long in the stock room?

Or am I wrong.

NoNickName
16-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Then surely all new cars would have shaft seal leaks from the compressor sitting too long in the stock room?

Or am I wrong.

In fact most of the R134a leakages are from mobile AC. And in EU now R134a in MACs is banned for a reason.

Will
17-02-2010, 03:47 PM
And in EU now R134a in MACs is banned for a reason.So they're blaming the refrigerant ?

NoNickName
17-02-2010, 04:05 PM
So they're blaming the refrigerant ?

They just banned it for good.