PDA

View Full Version : Building Regs.

pen_ster2002
08-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi I have recently quoted for a job to install 2 wall mounts in a small office. Customer is now asking about building regs it has never been an issue on little jobs like this. But it has made me think by the book should the customer inform them of the work. The units are small 1 x 7Kw and 1 3.5Kw both A/A rated and on the E.C.A list so efficiency would not be a problem. Our company has an interim fgas ticket. Would apreciate some input from you guys.

frank
08-02-2010, 09:12 PM
As far as I understand, in the UK, any new installation of A/C must be registered with the local council by a self certifying company and also advised to the local electricity supply company, advising of the impact on the maximum demand for the property.

There are forms available for both, but I'm not sure how many companies comply.

If you are not qualified to self certify, then the council has local companies that can come out and certify for a price.

freezetech
08-02-2010, 09:15 PM
this should be either self certified ie member of niceic , corgi or other registration body or contact local building regs for them to certify (costly option).

all air conditioning units install should be notified to local authority under part f of the building regs

freezetech
08-02-2010, 09:19 PM
As far as I understand, in the UK, any new installation of A/C must be registered with the local council by a self certifying company and also advised to the local electricity supply company, advising of the impact on the maximum demand for the property.

There are forms available for both, but I'm not sure how many companies comply.

If you are not qualified to self certify, then the council has local companies that can come out and certify for a price.
you do not need to notify local distribution company unless your total maximum demand exceeds total fuse rating of the main incoming fuse after diversity

pen_ster2002
09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info. As for the governing body we are not member of electrical body as our electrical work is subbed, and we are not with corgi as we only deal with refrigerant. We are with Refcom but there is no reporting system back to the local council. Is there a governing body that covers air con work we are only small most of our business is installing small splits and maintaining them.

freezetech
09-02-2010, 07:36 PM
no you must join a self certifying body seperatly this can be any goverment approved one this is for part f of building regs there are about 8 different organisations that control this sector niceic corgi napit. google self certifying schemes. you normally will register approx £400.00 then you will have to show an inspector 3 installations he will check they are upto current standards and all work comply s ie electrical, refrigiration, all paperwork complies ie 2 million public liability, health and safety,all registration paperwork for electrical and refrigerants then if you pass you self certify your work, this happens every year for you to stay registered and of course £400 yearly

pen_ster2002
10-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks Freeze will get on the case.

Quality
10-02-2010, 11:10 PM
You shall comply :( electrical yes - gas yes - water almost yes - ac / fidge no

unless the install is obviously obtrusive to the main calll this No:-0161 874 3663

all the answers you need legally;)