PDA

View Full Version : Any good brands with the mains going to the indoor via GPO plug

paul_h
08-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I need to quote for a split install, pretty much needs to be locally connected, there's no possible way to add a circuit, so I'm stuck with only using a 2.6kW split with a GPO lead and plug on the indoor unit. I know I can locally connect a larger unit sometimes, or even locally connect a unit not with a indoor plug, but the sparkie I'm working with rather have it very straight forward and cover himself when he wires it up locally. So he wants a 2.6kw cooling, 1 HP unit with an indoor power lead/connection.

I know fujistsu does, but not willing to fit one of them*
Was leaning to pana and MHI, and I know that pana no longer uses indoor mains, that leaves MHI for all the brands that are cheapish, half decent etc.
So does the small 2.6kW MHI have a gpo mains to the indoor unit?

* the outdoor is going up a 3rd storey wall, more chance of an outdoor failure in the future with fujitsu and they are a pain to repair diagnose (just had 3 AFM failures in the last week in ast9s and ast12s, and it is annoying how hard they are to take apart and a major expense to hire a scissor lift for access).

nike123
08-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't say that MHI is half decent. My experience is that they are pretty much same quality as ME of same "size and equipment" and you got it for some smaller amount of money.

Power source is on indoor unit for our market!

lomb
08-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Small MHIs are power to inner unit. Look at their hyperinverter series.

exotiic
09-02-2010, 12:15 PM
MHI up to and including 3.5kW are powered to indoor unit. Panasonic non inverter offers a 5.3kW non inverter with power to indoor which is designed for a 10A circuit.

And I personally believe MHI are much better than half-decent, They offer the highest efficiency ratings and I feel in terms of quality are on par with Panasonic. My personal preference tends to bias towards Panasonic of any brand though.

fridge doctor
09-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi Paul,

At first I was a bit surprised at you asking this Q. because I know you to be switched on and a smart cookie. But then I realised as you are maybe 95% troubleshoot, you prob don't spend a great deal of time selecting and installing. Anyway, the general rule of thumb is this (regardless of maker). 9, 12 and 18000 Btu always indoor fed. 24K always outdoor fed. So pick your fav supplier and just make sure before you order.

Trevor

airefresco
09-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi Paul,

At first I was a bit surprised at you asking this Q. because I know you to be switched on and a smart cookie. But then I realised as you are maybe 95% troubleshoot, you prob don't spend a great deal of time selecting and installing. Anyway, the general rule of thumb is this (regardless of maker). 9, 12 and 18000 Btu always indoor fed. 24K always outdoor fed. So pick your fav supplier and just make sure before you order.

Trevor

All Daikin units are fed from the outdoor, even the 2kW wallmounted units. Iīm sure there will be otherīs too that are outdoor fed.

exotiic
10-02-2010, 09:19 AM
All Daikin units are fed from the outdoor, even the 2kW wallmounted units. Iīm sure there will be otherīs too that are outdoor fed.

As are all Panasonic inverter models.

rude
10-02-2010, 09:42 AM
LG :)

I would have said fujitsu but if your a bit worried about them, id go the MHI have only heard good things about those.

eggs
10-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Hitachi Summit Inverter Range

paul_h
16-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi Paul,

Trevor
Yeah as said by others, many manufacturers are getting rid of the indoor power supply models, like panasonic and daikin. Fujitsu still does it, but other brands who I'd prefer in this install don't.
As you guessed, I'm a 99% troubleshooter, hardly ever install. I only install for friends, family, and regular long term customers, because every install I seem to get is a bloody nightmare, multi storey or no external type of wall type of deal. I can bash a back to back split up as as good as the rest of them, yet every install I was asked to quote for seemed to be a pain in the arse difficult 5 hr job, which is not economical due to the price an install goes for here (why work 4hrs for $300 when I could do 3 breakdowns - or more, in the same time for more money?)
I just asked the question because my first preference - panasonic - had power going to the outdoor, and the sparkie I use wasn't interested in wiring up the outdoor at that height. I'm not licenced to install new electrical wiring, so I have to do what they tell me.

Panasonic, while they have their faults, are in my experience fairly bulletproof in the outdoor unit. Most, if any faults with them are indoor PCB or fan motor faults. Unlike fujitsu with their diode bridge or AFM faults in the outdoor unit. Just based on my experience I prefer those two brands, but neither seemed up to this task.

But anyway, problem solved as the budget inverter panasonic has mains power to the indoor and is cheaper than the standard pana.