PDA

View Full Version : Indesit faulty relay ??

PEAENJAY
05-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I have a 2 year old Indesit friidge freezer, when I turn it on it seems to start up OK, the compressor is running, and the light comes on when door is opened. After a few minutes I hear a relay clicking repeatedly behind the control panel and I can hear the motor being pulsed. This goes on for about a minute then it completely shuts down, not even the light comes on. I managed to get a new relay for the control board and replaced it but it still does the same thing. I understand Hotpoint machines also have this problem. Can anyone help please ?

344martin
06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
It needs a new control board. Known problem. Is it a BAN12 perchance? I can give you th part No. for the board, but will require commercial code (on label with serial number)

PEAENJAY
08-02-2010, 11:29 AM
It needs a new control board. Known problem. Is it a BAN12 perchance? I can give you th part No. for the board, but will require commercial code (on label with serial number)

Hi yes it is a BAN12, the problem is that I think the cost of the card will be more that he fridge is worth, especially if it does not fix the problem or a good board goes bad again. If I can find out what component on the board is bad I am happy to replace it myself which is why I replaced the relay. Do you know what component is responsible ? I bought the fridge used and found out later it had the same problem during warranty period and the technician did something to the board without replacing it ??

344martin
08-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Mmmm. A lot of board components nowadays are so miniaturised that if you get a soldering iron anywhere near them, they evaporate!! I long for the good old days when you could repair components. We are no longer engineers, merely fitters!
But that aside, there are 4 variants of BAN12, and within those variants, different boards are fitted depending on serial number (2 variant of board, but you will need serial No. and commercial code to pinpoint which one is yours. Expect to pay about £75/£80 for board)

PEAENJAY
09-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Mmmm. A lot of board components nowadays are so miniaturised that if you get a soldering iron anywhere near them, they evaporate!! I long for the good old days when you could repair components. We are no longer engineers, merely fitters!
But that aside, there are 4 variants of BAN12, and within those variants, different boards are fitted depending on serial number (2 variant of board, but you will need serial No. and commercial code to pinpoint which one is yours. Expect to pay about £75/£80 for board)
OK thanks, it is down to the numbers really, although it is only two years old I will probably have to take it to the dump, I bought it used for the price of a board so I think I will take the loss and not risk more money on it, unfortunately this is the way things work these days. I was doubtful about buying this brand so I have learned a lesson and will look for a used Bosch as I had originally planned A real shame because it looks like a very nice fridge

fridge doctor
09-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Peaenjay,

You are clearly not a refrigeration tech. but equally obviously you have knowledge of electronic components on a PCB. Maybe you might consider modifying the control system? Given what you have said I am confident that we can all assume the refrigeration system as such is OK, but if you have any doubts, substituting a mains power lead by interrupting the supply lead to the compressor will confirm this.

Having established that the basics are OK, your choices are;
1/ Design and build a new board to cover the essential functions (forget any unneccessary sales gimmicks) OR
2/ Dispense with the electronics and design a basic system using mechanical/electrical components.

In both of the above cases, your requirements are: Temperature control (Thermostat or thermistor) Defrost control (IC or mechanical timer). Mains power takes care of the compressor, internal and external fans, lights.. and/or perhaps a couple of relays to handle the loads if using the electronic version.
If you like the fridge and it sits well in the space, a bit of your own effort and you can be confident that it will remain in service well beyond the manufacturers expectations?

PEAENJAY
10-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Peaenjay,

You are clearly not a refrigeration tech. but equally obviously you have knowledge of electronic components on a PCB. Maybe you might consider modifying the control system? Given what you have said I am confident that we can all assume the refrigeration system as such is OK, but if you have any doubts, substituting a mains power lead by interrupting the supply lead to the compressor will confirm this.

Having established that the basics are OK, your choices are;
1/ Design and build a new board to cover the essential functions (forget any unneccessary sales gimmicks) OR
2/ Dispense with the electronics and design a basic system using mechanical/electrical components.

In both of the above cases, your requirements are: Temperature control (Thermostat or thermistor) Defrost control (IC or mechanical timer). Mains power takes care of the compressor, internal and external fans, lights.. and/or perhaps a couple of relays to handle the loads if using the electronic version.
If you like the fridge and it sits well in the space, a bit of your own effort and you can be confident that it will remain in service well beyond the manufacturers expectations?
FridgeDctor thanks you for your comments, unfortunately making a control board is well beyond my capabilities, I am a mechanical engineer by profession and will attempt just about anything mechanical but electronics are something I cannot do unfortunately, I found out on another site that the relay was suspect but a new one produces the same repetitive relay action and then shutdown, I hate to junk a fridge like this but unless I can fix this board I will be obliged to do that. It will be getting too warm soon for the outside window ledge fridge that I am using now.