PDA

View Full Version : York YT Centrifugal

iceman007
05-02-2010, 09:01 AM
A chiller we have been working on this week....It had problems. We were told by the technicians on site that it was "losing oil" as there was no puddle on the floor we deduced that it was in the evaporator and logged. The high approach and slightly lower back pressure suggested this. Discharge superheat looked OK at 22degrees F. There was no charge of refrigerant in the machine, oil was at the bottom glass on the sump. We evacuated the machine and left it standingwith a Torr gage on there. Then we were instructed to run the machine. I know that the charge removed was short (by at least 100kg). Others had leak tested the machine and so we put in new refrigerant (R123). Got the oil halfway up the second glass and thought we would run the machine up to full load and get the oil back, then adjust the levels etc until all came back to normal. Machine started up, and then after a while pumped the oil from the sump. We had all sorts of problems getting any oil back. Initially we did seem to be having a little bit of luck at full load, but that was short lived. The refrigerant in the cooler was very flat with foaming and not really any of the usual effervescence, so I know we have a heat exchange problem and then only a 4 degree C TD on the chilled water confirms this. Then we noticed the refrigerant had turned a muddy brown color and noticed rust in it, so the inside of the shell must be rusting. It turns out that the chiller had been left opened up after a rebuild a while back. The oil pick up isn't getting oil back either. I am actually concerned that this may be a bearing fault as well, so we shut the machine down. The evap is a flooded one so how is this ever going to get cleaned up, and this rust "powder" is probably in the condenser as well, which might explain the high head pressure.... I've never seen one like this, and can't decide what to do with it..

mohansingh71
05-02-2010, 11:17 AM
we want carrier chiller's compressor oil for model no of chiller is this and in which time to change the oil 30HXC130A and 30RA160APT116D pls. tell us

iceman007
05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
we want carrier chiller's compressor oil for model no of chiller is this and in which time to change the oil 30HXC130A and 30RA160APT116D pls. tell us

You need castrol SW220 for the HXC and you will need internal and oil pre filters. If you don't know the oil type then you should be getting Carrier to do the job for you. The RA is a scroll chiller and uses a different oil.

It is VERY RUDE to try and hijack my post like this. If you need information, then please at least do me as well as yourself the courtesy of starting a new thread pertinent to your question.

Grizzly
05-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Maybe they knew you were so knowledgeable Iceman?
It's a shame that your on R123 not R11.
That would of flushed it out.
Not sure what options you actually have.
Sounds pretty terminal to me!
If not it sounds expensive!
It's not only the Brit's that appreciate your climate.
So does rust by the sound of it.
One cure springs to mind, but I am not to sure as to how easily you can get hold of Semtex?
Cheers Grizzly

iceman007
05-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Maybe they knew you were so knowledgeable Iceman?
It's a shame that your on R123 not R11.
That would of flushed it out.
Not sure what options you actually have.
Sounds pretty terminal to me!
If not it sounds expensive!
It's not only the Brit's that appreciate your climate.
So does rust by the sound of it.
One cure springs to mind, but I am not to sure as to how easily you can get hold of Semtex?
Cheers Grizzly

NOt easily but I have a big chainsaw

salman.viqar
04-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Hi , all i am new to this forum,
we have a frequent fault occuring at our YORK Chiller the model # is YTH3J3E35COG and it is a YT CODEPAK Chiller. The micro card displays its HIGH TEMP LED lit even if the chiller is started after 3 weeks or more , physical inspection shows that the coolant pump is working fine and the coolant level is okay, also by measuring the temprature of thyristor stack via a IR gun the temop is in the normal range. When we change the card that is in the enclosure containing the breaker the problem disappears. The card is i dont know what actually to call it but its function seems to be conversion of voltage and current signals from busbar to readable values that are then displayed on the display card. Also temprature of the stzk come to this card as input. This is the third card that we have replaced against the same problem in a span of 6 months. Could please anyone guide us where the root cause lies???

Thanx

CHILLAIRE
06-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi guys newbie here. My pitch in for this centrifugal oil problem is the OIL EDUCTOR problem. Oil eductor utilizes the condenser pressure to draw the oil from the evaporator returning to the compressor sump. Eductor filters or check valve fault could be the cause of the problem.

Grizzly
06-03-2010, 08:01 AM
we have a frequent fault occuring at our YORK Chiller the model # is YTH3J3E35COG and it is a YT CODEPAK Chiller. The micro card displays its HIGH TEMP LED lit even if the chiller is started after 3 weeks or more , physical inspection shows that the coolant pump is working fine and the coolant level is okay, also by measuring the temprature of thyristor stack via a IR gun the temop is in the normal range. When we change the card that is in the enclosure containing the breaker the problem disappears. The card is i dont know what actually to call it but its function seems to be conversion of voltage and current signals from busbar to readable values that are then displayed on the display card. Also temprature of the stzk come to this card as input. This is the third card that we have replaced against the same problem in a span of 6 months. Could please anyone guide us where the root cause lies???

Thanx

Based on what you say. I would start monitoring the Supply Voltage supplies.
Sounds like Voltage spikes or dips to me.
How clean is your electrical supply.
Also what is the condition of the Breaker?
Good Luck
Grizzly

Toosh
06-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Thanx

I take it you are using an IR= Infrared gun to check Temps I think its out of whack and not very reliable, can you not use other methods to measure the temps. There is another post on this form where that method was used and they found out it was the gun was at fault.

Toosh