PDA

View Full Version : Daikin RYP125B7W1

pen_ster2002
02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I'll start out by saying that although I am qualified engineer I have recently moved from just installing to more service workso am still novice at it so please be gentle.

Been out to a RYP125B7W1 today customer reported loud noise comming from the condenser. Had a look at it the whole thing was a big block of ice noise was fans clattering the ice. No fault showing on indoor controller. Outdoor unit leds showing activation of safety device (flashing green,H1p on). Recovered 0.5Kg 407c unit should have 3.9Kg. Closed 2 +3way valves and pressure tested condenser no drop in pressure. Opened valves to pressure test whole system no drop tested at 33Bar left for around 30-40 mins. Vac'd out the system got 2.5Kg of 407c in and thought I would run system to pull the other 1.4Kg in. Unit was still showing same outside fault lights,I had turned off the system whilst I was working on it. Unit tried to start up the high side shot up till it reached 33Bar then cut out on H.P switch. I realize it was a mistake to charge without finding out where the missing refrigerant had gone in the first place. But the system did seem tight. I double checked that the 2+3 way valves were open again. The unit just keeps trying to start every few minutes still no fault showing on the indoor controller.
I was thinking I may have a problem with the compressor or the reversing valve. Am I going down the right lines and how would I go about trouble shooting this one. Also has it got a blow off that could be venting the gas as it would acount for the seemingly tight system that has misplaced 3.4Kg of refrigerant. Sorry about the long thread but this is as I see it any help would be much appreciated.

troymedhurst
02-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I'll start out by saying that although I am qualified engineer I have recently moved from just installing to more service workso am still novice at it so please be gentle.

Been out to a RYP125B7W1 today customer reported loud noise comming from the condenser. Had a look at it the whole thing was a big block of ice noise was fans clattering the ice. No fault showing on indoor controller. Outdoor unit leds showing activation of safety device (flashing green,H1p on). Recovered 0.5Kg 407c unit should have 3.9Kg. Closed 2 +3way valves and pressure tested condenser no drop in pressure. Opened valves to pressure test whole system no drop tested at 33Bar left for around 30-40 mins. Vac'd out the system got 2.5Kg of 407c in and thought I would run system to pull the other 1.4Kg in. Unit was still showing same outside fault lights,I had turned off the system whilst I was working on it. Unit tried to start up the high side shot up till it reached 33Bar then cut out on H.P switch. I realize it was a mistake to charge without finding out where the missing refrigerant had gone in the first place. But the system did seem tight. I double checked that the 2+3 way valves were open again. The unit just keeps trying to start every few minutes still no fault showing on the indoor controller.
I was thinking I may have a problem with the compressor or the reversing valve. Am I going down the right lines and how would I go about trouble shooting this one. Also has it got a blow off that could be venting the gas as it would acount for the seemingly tight system that has misplaced 3.4Kg of refrigerant. Sorry about the long thread but this is as I see it any help would be much appreciated.
Hi
What mode was the system in?
Might seem a silly question, but did outdoor fans start? What did the suction side do?
Also I dont know of any dx unit with pressure relief valves.

frank
02-02-2010, 09:46 PM
The HP1 green LED does not indicate a fault - this flashes at 1/sec to indicate that the outdoor processor is OK.

The red LED's on the outdoor pcb indicate a fault condition which is repeated on the controller display.

If the red LED's are off and no fault is showing on the controller then the unit is not in fault.

Did you recover the whole system or just the outdoor unit? I would expect a system with a 0.5kg charge that should have 3.9kg would go out on LP.

pen_ster2002
02-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I put the unit on cooling mode. The fans did start, the low side started to drop as the high side was rising. But whithin about 5 secs the unit tripped off. The other thing that was strange was the system pressure at stand still was about 150psi when I first put the charge in. The unit started and the high side shot up but after the unit went off on h.p the high side did drop back down but not back to the 150psi it started at. It only dropped back down to around 20 bar. The reason I asked about the blow off valves is because i remember reading on here about a compresser having an internal vent.

pen_ster2002
02-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Sorry must have got the leds mixed up the green was flashing and the first red led was constant. This did not change even after the unit was switched off and the 2.5Kg was added. The unit was then switched on no fault is showing on the indoor controller. Should say the controller is controlling 3 seperate units but when i turned off the unit it did show the u4 i think on the unit i was working on so it did pick up the unit being switched off. I did recover the whole system. The unit was not showing a l.p fault on the controller either I checked for continuity on the high and low pressure switch and both had continuity.

Jase
02-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi
What mode was the system in?
Might seem a silly question, but did outdoor fans start? What did the suction side do?
Also I dont know of any dx unit with pressure relief valves.
Hello pen ster,

If you check through the fault history on the remote controller then you will come across recent fault codes.
Hold in test until '10' appears on display. After 3 seconds or so, press and hold in the test button once more and '40' will appear. Soon after you will see a fault appear on screen.
The outdoor pcb's on these units have a tendency to burn up so there may be an issue there. Also, when on heating, is the indoor fan running.
Best of all, start from scratch and carry out full PLT,

Jase

coolhandlew
02-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I think with these units the outdoor pcb logs the fault (red). The unit will try and run again 3 or 5 times (can't remember which) then the remote controller will display HP fault. Possibly E5 if I remember right. I had a problem similar on size 71 unit (single fan). Intermittently the condenser fan would just stop mid cycle. No output from PCB.

Jase
02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I think with these units the outdoor pcb logs the fault (red). The unit will try and run again 3 or 5 times (can't remember which) then the remote controller will display HP fault. Possibly E5 if I remember right. I had a problem similar on size 71 unit (single fan). Intermittently the condenser fan would just stop mid cycle. No output from PCB.

Strangely enough, I was checking over a '71' today. System cutting out whilst heating and then restarting. Red LED on at outdoor, no fault code showing. Fault history of 'E3' fault. Found indoor unit fan motor not operating as should be so the unit had been tripping out on HP:D

Regards,
Jase

pen_ster2002
02-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Hello pen ster,

If you check through the fault history on the remote controller then you will come across recent fault codes.
Hold in test until '10' appears on display. After 3 seconds or so, press and hold in the test button once more and '40' will appear. Soon after you will see a fault appear on screen.
The outdoor pcb's on these units have a tendency to burn up so there may be an issue there. Also, when on heating, is the indoor fan running.
Best of all, start from scratch and carry out full PLT,

Jase

As I say be gentle PLT?

pen_ster2002
02-02-2010, 10:40 PM
so does anyone think i'm looking at a busted compressor or reversing valve? Its the fact that the high side pressure shot up so fast and did not then drop when the compressor stopped that is throwing me. And how would you go about proving it. I have got 3 identical units next to this one that are working fine.

install monkey
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
check the discharge schraeder valve behind the electrics/contactor.i had 1 last week.after prssure testing at 28 bar then giving a good vac found nitroge had settled the condenser theres a electronic expansion valve on the liq line that is closed for the first 2mins of running.

pen_ster2002
02-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Oh ok will check. I only used vac pump on the 2+3way service valves. I will take spare gauges and try again. Would the correct way be to vac from all schrader valves there are a few on the unit. But could nitrogen in system cause these symptons?

dogma
03-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Did you check if there was a blockage in the system by shutting one service valve, pressurizing then cracking the pipe?????? I've seen similar and it was a blockage in the indoor coil

Temprite
03-02-2010, 11:55 AM

When you recovered the gas where where your gauges connected to?

pen_ster2002
03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Gauges connected to the service valves outside of unit casing.

Temprite
04-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Closed 2 +3way valves and pressure tested condenser no drop in pressure.

Correct me if I am wrong but if the gauges were connected to the service valves and they were shut wouldn't you be pressure testing the indoor unit.

If you recover from the service valves on some Daikin units from memory you wont be able to recover entire charge. Frank may able to shed some light on this. You need to get on the true suction and discharge connections.

frank
04-02-2010, 07:42 PM
With the service valves closed, your gauges will only be looking at the pipework and indoor fan coil(s).

You also need to connect to the outdoor schraeder point on the discharge pipe above the compressor to make sure that you see the whole system.

pen_ster2002
05-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I have been back to site today and started over. Re claimed from the service valves and the internal shrader valve. Guess what took out 5Kg this time (oops). So I had taken a system with a low pressure problem and turned it into a high pressure problem. Sysem is back up and running thanks for the help. Sorry I wasnt clear on the pressure testing I shut service valves and pressure tested pipe run and inside unit first. Then opened them and pressure tested again to see if leak was in condenser unit.