PDA

View Full Version : Tracer gas in OFN bottles

Peter_1
02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Apparently - if I remember well- I read here on RE that in the UK you could buy OFN pressurized bottles with a tracergas in it.
I would like to find out more (manufacturer, sort of tracer gas, detectable with normal detectors,...)

taz24
03-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Apparently - if I remember well- I read here on RE that in the UK you could buy OFN pressurized bottles with a tracergas in it.
I would like to find out more (manufacturer, sort of tracer gas, detectable with normal detectors,...)

Hello Peter.

I don't know about tracer refrigerants but they do
put a small % of helium in with OFN so it would leak
out of the smaller pores in systems.

Thanks taz

Temprite
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM

I remember this as well and I believe that it had a small amount of hydrogen in it. think I googled it once.

pendlesteve
09-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Try asking BOC as they were trialing a mix of helium & nitrogen.

kelvin278
12-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Peter
What are you trying to do, HPLT using OFN? If so when reclaiming leave a small charge of refrigerant in the system, HPLT with OFN over the top of the small charge of refrigerant and leak test using electronic sniffer.

Peter_1
13-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Well, that's now the problem, you may no longer test with refrigerant in the system.
Suppose, you have installed a new supermarket and pressurize the system and pressure drops. There's a leak. You search the whole system with soap without any result. And then?
You may not add gas in the system until you've found the leak.
Not that easy.
An electronic sniffer is only good if the system was already charged before.