PDA

View Full Version : Acid test

coolhandlew
01-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi all, I had a compressor fail last week on a Himod unit. Electrical failure, windings down to earth. Thought it would be a good idea to test for acid. Thing is, I'm not sure if I trust the tester I have. I think it's called a 2 second test. It's basically a little clear plastic tube with a 1 inch piece of litmus paper inside. You press it onto the lowside valve for two seconds and check the paper.
I've done this and the result is clear. (there was no oil just vapour). I'm just not convinced. Shall I find some oil and drip it on?
Has anyone seen/used these kits before?

nevgee
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi,

I've used 2 of these before and like you, I'm not convinced of their accuracy. I suppose the best thing to do is run a comparison test. If you can get a sample of oil to use with a more traditional oil test kit and then see how it compairs.
I've often used the Carrier Total test when there has been no access to a suitable sample of oil, as the total test is connected to a 1/4 flare service port on iether the suction or high side, but the compressor needs to be running for this test.

I guess if you were to do as you suggested and dip the "litmus" you might see a differing result or not. Good luck! :)

tonyhavcr
01-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Electrical failure, windings down to earth.
Its a burn just treat it as one and do a clean up even if its a week one you will go wrong by doing a clean up.

nevgee
01-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Sure that's the case, but after installing a new compressor it's a very good thing to check the system is clean and acid free, so a reliable tester is a must.

tonyhavcr
07-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Sure that's the case, but after installing a new compressor it's a very good thing to check the system is clean and acid free, so a reliable tester is a must.

So true: But it look to me that coolhandlew was un-shore if a clean up was needed after using litmus paper test to check for acids on this I feel its better to just do a clean up then lose sleep on it.

but a reliable tester is a must.

Anther tester to use is a
megger meter and track

winding wear and may show you when moisture in oil
with high leakage to ground.

sedgy
10-02-2010, 04:59 PM
hi nevgee, yes I agree with you on using a totaltest, but never heard that the comp, had to run whilst testing.?

Quality
10-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Me neither I know that they have to be connected to vapour only - but compreessor running is new to me and I have used and trusted them for years

sedgy
10-02-2010, 08:28 PM
hi quality, how ur doin? , I am in the same mind about the total test kit used um for years but never heard about the comp had to run ?

cooldude
10-02-2010, 09:03 PM
hi you can drop in some acid away in it if not sure we use it when we replace a compressor most the time no problems with it

Iceberg1138
10-02-2010, 09:31 PM
I also have used the TotalTest for years, and the instructions that came with mine say to test the low side only with the system off. I did have one instance that there was a LOT of liquid in the low side, it froze my tester and shattered the plastic sleeve, ruining it. That, in my mind, would absolutely preclude using it on the high side, esp. with the unit running. Besides, if the compressor is dead, how on earth are you going to test it while running?
That being said, I have had a negative refrigerant test (TotalTest) with a positive oil test, and vice-versa. I always do both if possible.
I have never used a litmus test; they always seemed too good to be true. Call me old fashioned.

sedgy
10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
thanks cooldude, thanks iceburg 1138