PDA

View Full Version : Converting a 53 gallon jim beam barrel into a beer refrigerator! need help on how to

harrykica84
01-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Hey Ive got a 55 gallon wooden jim beam barrel that i want to convert into a fridge. Does any one have any suggestions on what parts ill need. Would i be able to take the compressor and pipes out of an old standard fridge? Any advice would be appreciated.

Im trying to convert this 55 gallon jim beam barrel into a fridge. Im not sure where to start...parts or insulation first and also what all would i need to complete this and where could i get it. i don't know to much about fridges.

how would i go about making my JIM beam barrel into a fridge. what parts do i need and what should i use for insulation and plastic molding.

i need help on how to convert a jim beam barrel into a fridge. like wether i should vaccuum form my own inner plastic and what type on insulation. just anything would be helpful.

mad fridgie
01-02-2010, 02:27 AM
Hi Harry, first thing you need to do is empty the barrel of Jim Beam, can assist with this if required. Please send over to New Zealand for disposal of product.

harrykica84
01-02-2010, 02:54 AM
hahahah it already empty. but realy i dont realy know what im doing when it comes to doing this. any advice at where to start?

mad fridgie
01-02-2010, 03:01 AM
hahahah it already empty. but realy i dont realy know what im doing when it comes to doing this. any advice at where to start?
Sorry do not know what a jim beam barrel looks like.
If it is wood. then you need to installer a liner of some sort. You could wrap the evap arounf this liner if made of metal 'skin evap".
Then fill void with insulation "poly eurathane" cap filler in a tin!
50mm cap will give good insulation if only a chiller

harrykica84
01-02-2010, 05:25 AM
ok this is what it looks like. http://api.ning.com/files/FEz9r4hbvQzOulucaApTj6HI88x7MKMJWCvtAJQThJsdBe8phLPCcbDcLLFzYSFFIK7rNhMWmyM5Tn-xoxuPOuiWUkNwDr4V/JimBeamWhiskeyBarrel.JPG

and is sheet metal a good liner? also the spray in insulation, how fast does it harden also what should i use for the inner plastic housing?

lowcool
01-02-2010, 10:54 AM
probaly better off wrapping interior with 10 mm thick strips of styrene and find a small forced draft wall mount evap.
i hope its a big barrel

harrykica84
01-02-2010, 08:48 PM
ok thank you. what would you recommend i use for the inner housing? should i custom mold one or go with a used square?

lowcool
02-02-2010, 09:43 PM
you could fibreglass it,there are resins available that wont eat the styrene,build your styrene up to 50mm thick

harrykica84
03-02-2010, 05:46 AM
What do you think about vacuum forming polystyrene for the innerhousing? and how do you bend the polystyrene foam?

lowcool
03-02-2010, 07:49 AM
imagine a strip of styrene 50 mm wide and 10 mm thick it is reasonably pliable,cut the pieces so they fit like the staves if you want but they have to fit reasonably snug,glue em on then overlap other pieces the same size and fit.cut a 50 mm thick circle for your ends this needs to be chamfered for a snug fit also.
Preferably no air gaps allowed.
the inner lining is all yours me i would reinforce the base and glass it with bits glassed in to screw other bits on to them.
cheap and effective costwise i think with max storage capacity.
you will have to decide about the condensing unit but i would suggest directly underneath with the electronic controller etc.
thats my imagination anyway,reality is another.
cheers
i like beer too

harrykica84
03-02-2010, 10:49 PM
ok thanks. sorry but Im a little confused on how to reinforce the bottom? also when i put the styrene in whats good in terms of sealing the cracks if there are any? would silicon work? also do think it would be easier to make it a freezerless fridge or one with a freezer? sorry if i ask to many questions im just trying to learn everything i can so i can make the nest decision on how to make this work.