PDA

View Full Version : Copeland Semi-Hermetic 6RA4-2000-TSK

nh3doctor1
30-01-2010, 07:40 PM
First I want to say I love this site, first time to post but not to read up stuff. I am still pretty green in the trade, 31/2 years with all my experiance in the industrial side. Just learning the smaller stuff used in ***** systems. I have a 80hp 507 system using Copeland Semi-Hermetic 6RA4-2000-TSK compressors. 2 of my compressors lose their oil and shut down on LP. I then have to open the oil return line to the compressors to fill them again the other two on the rack hold oil with no problems. The major problem is we cant get in to the system due to production needs. We need the freezers running. I am sure there is nothing I can do except wait until December for the off season and try to find the problem. The question I have is if anyone has any ideas to where I should start or, if anyone has had or seen the same problem to give some pointers into the matter so if I do have to tear apart compressors. It will go as smoothly as possible.

monkey spanners
30-01-2010, 07:53 PM
When you say you have to open the oil return line, what exactly are you having to do?

Is it a new system or has it been operating ok before?

What oil is it running?

How is the oil level regulated in the compressors?

Cheers Jon

jpsmith1cm
30-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Assuming this is like the other parallel rack type systems that I have worked on, leave those valves open.

They should have an oil regulator on the compressor that will maintain a proper oil level.

chemi-cool
30-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Adding oil to a system that haven't lost any is a mistake. Too much oil can be dangerous.

On a rack the oil feeding is the same to all compressors, so its somewhere between the oil reservoir and the compressor. Oil filter, oil SV, oil level regulator.
Have them checked, cleaned and replace whatever needs to.

GHAZ
30-01-2010, 09:29 PM
hi put oil balance lines on all four compressors,and oil regulaters, you need 1/4npt flare fittings on the opposite side of the sight glass, for balance lines

nh3doctor1
31-01-2010, 02:43 AM
We have been pretty busy up until now, so I read your posts and investigated more thoroughly. I found what looks to be a constant pressure expansion valve(AXV), not many numbers to go off of on it. All the searches I have looked at have stated for evaporator pressure not oil or the like. Does not mean I cant use it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. And by me stating oil return line I mean a old gauge and manifold hooked up to the oil res. or sep. and than connected to the other side of this device down the line. It is not a new system it is a hacked together system. This is the Alaskan fishing industry where it works dont touch it we will do it next season, and that goes on until everything goes down the crapper. Hopefully I can prevent it happening in this company. And no we are not adding oil to the system, that might cause some unwanted headaches for sure. Thanks again for your posts and help hopefully I find the right part and be done with opening and closing valves every 20 minutes.

NH3LVR
31-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Welcome to the forum nh3doctor1.
Your background sounds a lot like mine. I spent a lot of time in Bristol Bay, Kodiak, and Prince William Sound. One summer in Homer a long time ago.
Wish I could help you but others are much more qualified with the rack systems. They befuddle me.
Again welcome to the forum.

Mark II
31-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Doc,

I read your last reply 3 times ... Are you saying there is a gauge manifold hooked up to where your oil float should be ??

jpsmith1cm
31-01-2010, 04:09 AM
What type of serarator are you dealing with?

Is it working properly?

nh3doctor1
31-01-2010, 07:58 AM
The gauge manifold is hooked to the bottom of the seperator/oil res. than another hose is connected on the other side of the constant pressure exp. valve(AXV) no float involved. I am sure the AXV is not working because I see no oil flow in the sight glass directly down stream of it. And are other exact rack system there is oil flow and works like a champ. I just cant find the part. There are the numbers a7-b on it and nothing else. I happened to be looking through a Johnstone Supply book and found a picture that looks just like this device, and it is an AXV, so I typed AXV and a7-b into google(love google) and found parker a7-b AXV's but they are called for evap pressure now I just want to make sure I get the right component the first time around. And thanks for the welcome NH3LVR, I am in sitka but spent 2 years in Dutch Harbor, got a buddy coming to work for me next week out of Kodiak with Trident.

lowcool
31-01-2010, 02:01 PM
is it on a flaker with r22

wrench
31-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Sounds like it is an oil supply regular (like the one Temprite supplies) that is either not working or is not set correctly and someone has by-passed it with a guage line. I would replace the valve, personally I prefer the Sporlan oil regulators that take a feed off the suction and the oil supply pressure is set above this level.

wrench
31-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Manual should be attached