PDA

View Full Version : Freezer working / frdige not

dan440144
28-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi all
this is my first post. I have an Electrolux integrated fridge / freezer Model ENN28600. It is 2.5 years old and has never missed a beat.

2 nights ago I switched it off and pulled it out of the cupboard housing to realign the integrated cupboard doors. The fridge / freezer at some point would have been on an angle - say 20 - 30 degrees.

I plugged it back in after about 20 minutes and thought everything was fine. However, I have since discovered that the freezer is working fine but the fridge is not cooling at all. I tried turning the temperature control right up (to cool it down) but this did nothing. I have since turned it off for two hours to let it 'stand' and then turned it back on - still no joy - hot fridge, cold freezer.

I can hear the motor going round but when I listen in the fridge it is making almost a venting sound that lasts a couple of seconds, stops and then repeats again.

Can anyone suggest anything?

lowcool
29-01-2010, 01:45 PM
if its frost free,give the defrost timer a twitch

chemi-cool
29-01-2010, 04:41 PM
if its frost free,give the defrost timer a twitch

In a frost free fridge, the compressor is not running when in defrost.

Sounds like the small thermostat inside the freezer that activates the fan is not working.

If the fan is burned, there is no defrost as the "0" of the heating element goes through the fan windings.

lowcool
31-01-2010, 12:19 PM
in my decidedly delicious delrious state i decided that it had hot gas and sticky contact in the timer,lack of airflow and three thousand other things one being a wet centre wall.
thanks for correcting me chemi

fridge doctor
02-02-2010, 07:32 PM
First I am not an Electrolux engineer, and the model means nothing to me, as I suspect most of my peers also.

Next. You are clearly thinking it is something you have done in disturbing the equipment as opposed to a breakdown which can occur at any inopportune moment correct?

Let me assure you that tilting the cabinet to an angle of ANY degree provided it was switched off, is not a problem, and particularly so if allowed to remain off for 20 minutes. So we can dispel that as being anything related to the problem.

If we are seeking a reason for the failure in association with what you did, then the only logical conclusion is that you perhaps manhandled the machine too roughly and maybe caused a problem in this way?

To revert to my original statement about not being familiar with the machine, I would ask you to check if the item has 1 or 2 compressors at the back. The compressor(s) may be exposed looking at the back, or it/they may be hiding behind a removeable panel. My gut feeling is that your cabinet perhaps has a compressor for each section, and that when you 'disturbed' it you may have damaged the (sometimes) sensitive internal wiring arrangement within the 'fridge' compressor.

Pull the cabinet out again and ensure that it is level. Remove rear panel - if fitted, and check if you have two compressors fitted. (If you only have one then I am on the wrong track - sorry) If you have two, identify the 'fridge' compressor... it will sometimes be slightly smaller physically, and often have a plastic water collection tray sitting on top of the 'dome'.

Put power back on to the cabinet and wait a minute. Then check (by hand) the temperature of the compressor you have identified as being connected to 'the fridge'. It may be stone cold, or it may be very hot. If it is cold, there is a possibility that the internal wiring has failed as described briefly above. If the compressor is hot, there is a chance that the problem may be with the start device. If this is the case you can investigate further by listening closely to the compressor for several minutes. If you hear a 'hum, followed by a click' this is the compressor trying to start and whilst not conclusive, it may be that the start relay is damaged. Either way, this is not something you can repair yourself as you are quite obviously not a refrigeration technician. As the item is 2.5 years old I am sure that you will probably not want to part with it just yet, and so whatever repair proves to be necessary it is surely the way forward? My advice here is simply to give you a better understanding of the item - you really need professional help. Good luck