PDA

View Full Version : Suction Accumulator High Level Interlock

larryd
28-01-2010, 06:45 AM
I have a client who questions whether it is necessary to have a suction accumulator high level interlock with the reciprocating compressors on an ammonia system. He feels that if an emergency shutdown occurs and the king valve is closed he would rather the compressors continued to run and force liquid into the receiver. Once a high level is reached in the suction accumulator then the receiver will no longer feed the accumulator but the compressor/s will continue to run feeding the receiver.

It seems to me that once the high level in the suction accumulator is reached, it is important that the compressor/s stop since the compressors could ultimately begin to suck liquid brought back via the suction line to the accumulator causing potentially severe damage to the compressor/s.

Can anyone please claraify this for me??

Thanks!

gregd1401
28-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Hi Larry. Yes you are right. It is very important to stop compressors and try to boil liquid out of accumulator as vapour. Reason for high level must also be investigated and corrected before restarting compressors.

Mark II
28-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Larry,

I agreed Greg, your clients idea is good in theory, however all that will happen is the liquid temp in your accumulator will drop to to negative 30(c) & make the liquid almost impossible to boil off.. Especiallily if it is insulated..

Terron
16-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Why even have a high level cut-out if you bypass it? If this is a two stage system then you could suggest a transfer pump that would relieve liquid back to the Inter-cooler or intermediate pressure vessel.

Grizzly
16-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Why even have a high level cut-out if you bypass it? If this is a two stage system then you could suggest a transfer pump that would relieve liquid back to the Inter-cooler or intermediate pressure vessel.

Check the date of the posts my friend.
Grizzly