PDA

View Full Version : Hermetic fridge compressor - suction & process reversed

desA
27-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I have a small machine on test in my lab, & have already run a few trials with this system.

I was looking through the diagrams for this particular compressor & noted that the manufacturer has the 'process' & 'suction' ports reversed. The system seems to run just fine.

I had originally wondered if they were trying to keep all their refrigerant pipework to one side & keep things tidy.

Could one expect any serious problems with such a set-up?

http://i49.tinypic.com/1o0qpu.png

monkey spanners
27-01-2010, 02:36 PM
I think both the suction and process tubes are the same on your small compressor, they are both open to the compressor body so it doesn't mater which one you use so long as they are the same size.
On a bigger compressor the process tube may be sized for a 1/4" schreader valve and a 5/16" or 3/8" suction, with one like this it would matter which one you used.

desA
27-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I think both the suction and process tubes are the same on your small compressor, they are both open to the compressor body so it doesn't mater which one you use so long as they are the same size.

Yes, they are both exactly the same size. That makes sense. Just had me floored for a second - something just didn't look right when I opened it. Only managed to get the final sketches today.

On a bigger compressor the process tube may be sized for a 1/4" schreader valve and a 5/16" or 3/8" suction, with one like this it would matter which one you used.

Fair-enough. That would certainly make a difference.

Thanks so much for that. I don't usually deal with this kind of compressor & it had me scratching my head for a while. :D

chemi-cool
27-01-2010, 03:01 PM
All the small compressors are like that now. As MS said, you can use any one of process tubes for suction.

Good luck with your experiment.

desA
27-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks chemi-cool.

It's a lot of fun working with systems this small. Like having a new toy.