PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy fittings and valves online?

thenorwegian
27-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I have been lurking around here for som time, lots of good info to find!

I do some reapirwork on air-to-air heatpumps, just on a small scale. Sometimes I install or move units. Nothing big or fancy, just a small extra income wich goes into the wife-does-not-know-drawer. My regular occupation is as a marine engineer, so I do have quite a lot of spare time:-)

Prices for fittings and valves here in Norway is just rediculus so I have been buying from McMaster-Carr, but for some strange reason they do not want to ship outside US anymore.
So-anyone who can point me towards a US or UK webshop selling fittings, valves and other stroes/equipment one woulf need?

chemi-cool
27-01-2010, 04:26 PM
http://www.fastfittings.com/

Looks good.

thenorwegian
28-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Found this company; very serviceminded and reasonably priced.

thenorwegian
28-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Sorry, forget to tell wich company...

B.E.S.Ltd

multisync
28-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Does Norway require engineers to be registered?

thenorwegian
28-01-2010, 05:57 PM
There are some requirements if the customer is to apply for any fundings, most guys doing heatpumpinstallations have attended a 3 day course at some supplier/importer. Appart from that there are no regulations detailing who is allowed to install or service ref.machinery.

I have not attended this course (very basic stuff-how much can one possibly learn in 2-3 says when participants background can be anything from plumber or electrican to self-taught handyman?) but guess my unlimited marine chief engineers licence would be approved if needed.

Market is big, a standard installation of a split type air-to-air heatpump is charged around 4-450£. It is tempting to take on some more jobs, time will show.

thenorwegian
03-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I checked a little closer; for plants with less then 3kgs of refrigerant no qualifications is required (as per today) for doing installation or service.
In order for the customer to be able to claim any reimbursement from the goverment the installation has to be done by a person who has as a minimum attended a 16hour training course with the importer or other qualified trainer.